Nissian kills 2G app for leafs

The place to discuss everything else..
Brussels

Post by Brussels »

I guess a warning for us all.

While the enyaq is clearly not 2G, I wonder if it is 3G or 4G? 3G will also end in a few years. With my luck 2023 will be 3G and 2024 4G.... :roll:

Nissan accused of dumping its electric car pioneers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68426263
Reserved demo car at dealership, delivery: 16/02/2023 after 7500 kms
Demo car so no choice. Sunroof, Silver, Suite, crystal face :roll: , HUD, Family Basic, No Travel Assist (only basic) :evil: heat pump :D 19´ wheels

First time EV owner, Belgium

Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

The story came from a discussion on SpeakEV.

Its not really about "2g" but mostly nissan wanting to shut down their older software platform.

3G shutdown is actually first and has already happened for some networks, 2G probably wont be shutdown unitl 2033 or perhaps later. And yet 2016-2017 LEAF's using 3G systems are continuing to be supported (as 3G systems will fail back to 2G)

LEAF's pre-2016 ran on an older platform called CarWings which has been on life support for a while with various sticking plasters. The cars themselves arent designed in a way where the software can easily be upgraded. Nissan has finally deciced to shut down CarWings, and thus stop the older cars from connecting.

The Enyaq is using a 4G modem.
Last edited by Aragorn on Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
legless

Post by legless »

The Enyaq uses 4G/LTE, so should be good for a fair few years yet.

I do have to admit to being amused by this in the article though:
David Morris, who has a 2014 Nissan Leaf, received an email on Wednesday which said his app will stop working next month.

"When you buy a car you expect to have support for it for at least 10 years," he told BBC News.

"Would I buy another one again, from this manufacturer, if they're not going to support it for a long term? Not sure," Mr Morris said.
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

4G LTE will be the backbone for a long time to come.

Maybe famous last words