Charge Port Cover Stuck

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
MrBooo

Post by MrBooo »

As the topic suggests the charge port cover is stuck on my Enyaq IV 80. Received it in September and had no issues until this morning.

Its stuck in a way that means it won't open or full close. It's like the mechanism has locked in a semi-closed position, and now won't release and prevents it from even being pushed fully closed.

Have tried various variations of holding it as closed as possible and locking/unlocking the car, trying to pull it open while unlocking the car, and light heat applied to the area but no luck.

It's -1 this morning so could be a cold weather issue, but having warmed the car up and had the area in question in direct sunlight I'm not convinced. Feels much more like a mechanical issue.

I had a previous VW group car that had the latch mechanism fail totally, but that stuck in a fully locked posituon and was 9 years old before it failed.

Anyone else had this issue on the 80 Enyaq iv model? Anyone able to fix it without involving a dealer?

Dav00

Post by Dav00 »

Anyone else had this issue on the 80 Enyaq iv model? Yes, exactly like that, this winter. Nothing to do with cold, ice etc.
Anyone able to fix it without involving a dealer? No, and effectively one internal component was broken. Basically, they had to replace that one and the other that will be likely damaged in the process of freeing the flap.
All under warranty.
Also, it's a sort of stupid thing but even if you manage to release it once, it can be really a show stopper in case it happens when you reallt need to charge. I got it fixed ASAP.
Last edited by Dav00 on Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

When mine has jammed half open like that (on several occasions), hitting unlock on the remote a few times has seen it release. AFAIK you need to use the remote, not the KESSY door thingy (my car doesnt have kessy, but i've seen folks say kessy unlock doesnt work). Dont touch the flap at all, just hit unlock once or twice and it'll make a clunk and pop free.

If you've pounded on it while its in that "stuck" state you may well have broken the mechanism.

The mechanism isnt the most robust, its the same system used on petrol flaps for years and those are also known to jam up. Mine has gotten much better after liberally greasing the locking pin. I think the EV's having the flap sat open for long periods means they're more prone to water ingress than the petrol cars.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

FWIW, changing the latch is supposed to be fairly easy, and i think the parts are fairly common and not too expensive. The cars are young enough that most folks have just gone to the dealer for a warranty repair.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
tomm636

Post by tomm636 »

We've had our car 2 years now and had this happen twice. Both times the dealer forced it open then ordered me a new actuator and door (Snapped when forced open).

The first time it happened the lease company sent the AA out, he said many VAG cars have this issue with the same component and forcing open is the only way, I chose to let the dealer do this to ensure I was covered on warranty. I suspect an EV charge flap has a lot more usage than a fuel flap on an ICE, just a shame there seems to be no modified part to resolve it.
Enyaq iV 80 Suite, Quartz Grey, 125 kW DC charging, 20" Vega wheels, Assisted drive pack, Heat pump, Climate pack, Convenience pack, Drive sport pack, Electric Towbar, Family pack plus, Infotainment pack plus, Built Sep 2021
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Well depending on how its stuck, forcing it is not the only way. As i said above, mines stuck half-closed maybe 5 or 6 times. Usually happened when closing the flap if you let it whack against the pin, it seems to sort of half catch and get stuck. Since greasing up the pin the sticking stopped.

If you DO force it though, then indeed you'll break the latch and it'll need to be replaced. The latch also does sometimes just fail. It a common enough failure on the ICE cars that aftermarket latches are available!

I can usually tell when mine needs more grease, it starts to feel stiff and graunchy when closing. Bit more grease and its back to being butter smooth again. A bit of preventative maintainance and i'll hopefully last longer!
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
MrBooo

Post by MrBooo »

Thanks all. I was using the key unlock button (didn't try the door handle dimple) and no number of presses seemed to make any difference.

Haven't forced or broke anything yet, to my knowledge, and its still stuck in the half open position.

I'll try again when it's warmer later on, and failing that looks like a warranty claim.

They really do need to look at this mechanism as its fairly clear its not fit for purpose in an EV.

Thanks for the tip on greasing, and I think I did notice the mechanism getting less "free" and more grindy recently, but could just be my memory clutching at things.
MrBooo

Post by MrBooo »

Update on this. After the temperature rose, I tried the repeated pressing of unlock button and pushing (not hard) on the cover and it released itself. Have now applied some lubricant and since that day it hasn't recurred.

I'm expecting it is a matter of time until it does, and clearly the mechanism is not working as intended.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Evening,
My EV charging flap started playing up last week, did all the hacks as suggested and thought it was ok.
Left my car at the airport for 3 days drove home with little range left.
Tried to plug car in and the flap would not release.
As this was now midnight after a long day called ŠKODA assistance and arranged for the AA to visit the following day.
AA patrol arrived unable to offer any solution, as vehicle needed to go to the dealership.
Which I knew would be the case.
Called my dealership they suggested AA follow me to them and for the AA to arrange the loan car with the VW group.
Car dropped to garage they said if the parts needed as suggested then fingers crossed I should have my car repaired by tomorrow as they had them in stock.
In the meantime I’ve been given a Volvo XC90 and had to put enough fuel in for my 80 mile commute tomorrow. I put in £15 of fuel this gave me 50 miles, so another top up will be required tomorrow.
It is an hybrid but with it being a motorway commute I’m not sure this will be of benefit.
Fingers crossed I get my car back again soon as only just had it back 3 weeks since I had the battery cell replaced which took 6 weeks and had certainly started to enjoy the benefits of an EV with the current fuel prices.
I’m getting really nervous now as my 3 year warranty expires in July.

Mileage 46,000.
21 plate 60
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Its a cheap part and is easily replaced. Of all the things to worry about on a modern EV, this latch is not it.

Most of the time they just tell the recovery people to force the door open so you can get your charge, and then they can replace the latch when its convenient.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post