Pre Conditioning - Curiosity ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
Hillocklane

Post by Hillocklane »

BioHzrd wrote: โ†‘Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:14 am Anyone with a home charger & smart meter or any other form of consumption monitor (emon pi/owl/Myenergie) happen to know or willing experimwnt and find out what sort of draw the Enyaq pulls when pre hearing the car ?

I'm just curious to know how much power is needed to heat/cool

Looks like that is going to vary depending upon ambient temp.

Just set mine to precondition 5 degrees above ambient and it was pulling 1.3 - 1.5kWh/h.

Increasing that to 10 degrees above ambient and it was fluctuating between 3.5 - 3.9 kWh/h

Colder mornings will drink more juice then, but looks likely a 7kWh home charger will be able to compensate

Anyone know if there is a level of battery it will stop allowing the preconditioning? - remember leaving my outlander in an airport car park with the preconditioning set daily and it drained the drive battery... not at all critical in that situation, but with an EV i hope there is something to stop it.

RichR

Post by RichR »

That's good to see - it confirms it's a lot cleverer than the Outlander's fans-and-heater-on-full-whatever method :) And yes, the total consumed by the HVAC will almost certainly be less than the average home charger can keep up with.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

I had a look through the online manual and it states that pre conditioning while on AC charge will only commence once the HV battery is fully charged (or I'm assuming reach so 80% if this is what you set it to) but will commence at anything while DC charging and end once the charge is complete, it states there after it will use the HV battery to continue if need be.

Thanks for the accurate readings as Rich says it's nice to see its some what an intelligent system, out of curiosity do you have a hear pump or not on your Enyaq ?
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

Iโ€™m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Might work for a well know charging company ๐Ÿ˜‰

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about ๐Ÿ˜‚
Hillocklane

Post by Hillocklane »

Thanks - its still a bit unclear isn't it... prioritises charge if charging, but will use the HVAC to precondition otherwise.

I was on about 60% when I set the test yesterday. I think next time i'm sub 20% i'll see if it will still do it.

Mine does have a heat pump.. awaiting an ID.3 without a heat pump so will be interesting to see if there is much difference.
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

I have a feeling the heat pump in regards to pre con on a cold morning will have negligible gains for a short period, my under standing is that it will be beneficial on long journeys over short hops.

Will be interesting to see if it makes any difference in the power draw from a home though.
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

Iโ€™m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Might work for a well know charging company ๐Ÿ˜‰

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about ๐Ÿ˜‚
orrery

Post by orrery »

BioHzrd wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:50 pm I have a feeling the heat pump in regards to pre con on a cold morning will have negligible gains for a short period, my under standing is that it will be beneficial on long journeys over short hops.
It should reduce the power taken by the heating by a factor of about 3 or 4, whether pre-heating or driving.

Nissan's original 24kWh Leaf didn't have a heat pump, but it was introduced as standard on the updated 24kWh to squeeze out more range, and was standard on every model after that. It will be of most benefit on those very cold, very wet days when it becomes hard to keep the windows clear with 4 or 5 people in the car. It is those days when range will be most reduced (the battery is cold to start with, the road surface is wet so more drag, more water to push out of the way at speed, and the need to run both heating and aircon at the same time to heat the car and dry the air).

I've seen it claimed that, with a heat pump, running aircon on top of heating essentially comes for free in power consumption terms.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post