13A mains charging

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

If I can address David’s question: while waiting for our charge point to be installed we used a granny cable. Initially we ran it from a 13 amp socket just inside our front door. I wasn’t happy with that arrangement as the socket got hot (we did not run it overnight nor was it left wholly unattended). I eased that situation by installing a waterproof double 13amp external socket on the garage wall. Internally I ran the 2.5 twin and earth from a double pole switch so that the socket was dead when not required.
A trip on holiday from the North East to the South West also entailed use of the granny cable-fortunately our destination accommodation also boasted a waterproof external socket. We used only this for recharging for trips out while there and for the long journey home.
So on the face of it the answer is yes you can but there are provisos: what demands are your existing electrical goods making on your circuits? How old is your wiring? Do you have a split load consumer unit? Are you on a looped system? And no doubt others that will take awhile to come to mind…
I’m reluctant to say to anybody you should do this or that but depending on the kind of answers you give to the provisos I list you may be well advised to seek expert advice.

Fossilnot

orrery

Post by orrery »

If using a 13 amp plug for charging at 10 amps you need to be very careful. Dirty, old or cheap sockets can easily overheat at 10 amps and melt. There are plenty of reported incidences, and I've seen it happen.

Make sure that your socket is new and check it by placing your hand on whilst charging - it can get warm, but not hot. The same is true for any extension lead you use - make sure that it is full 13 amp and good quality, and check to see that it isn't getting any more than warm.

These are very good:
https://toughleads.co.uk/
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

Also best to fully unravel the entire cable if the extension cable is a reel type regardless of the length needed. Cable reels can also heat up excessively.
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

There is a setting in the app to limit charge to stop this , unsure if it works as mine has never got hot on either setting
parkview094

Post by parkview094 »

What's curious about this is; if you select the 13A cable during configuration - it costs £645.
However from the official 'Enyaq Accessories brochure' - they offer an 'official' mode 2 charger (part number 1EA 971 675AQ) for £253
Enyaq iV80, ecoSuite, Metallic Brilliant Silver, Heat Pump, Climate Pack, Convenience Pack Plus, Transport Pack, Panoramic Roof.
Ohme Home Pro Charger (Tethered)
Ordered 13/10/21. Order accepted July 2022. Build Week 44 (31st October). Collected 17/12/22
RichR

Post by RichR »

The £645 one is the 'Universal' charger, which comes with about a dozen plugs, covering most of the world, including 3-phase and 415V and 16A/32a commando type ones. It can handle charging at up to 11kW. The one in the accessories catalogue is the 2.3kW 10A granny charger, that comes with a UK BS1363 plug only. Notice in the Configurator it doesn't say it's a 13A charger (in fact you can't buy a 13A charger - they're either 10A, 16A or 32A, because UK and most European domestic sockets are not rated to carry 13A for many hours).

I think the reason Skoda don't include or list the 2.3kW one for the Enyaq is that they consider that taking almost a day and a half to charge an Enyaq 80 from empty isn't realistic. So they recommend the 11kW one (should have happen to have a suitable socket) as that offers higher charging rates. They expect you to be charging using a 7.2kW wallbox at home, or rapid charging at public chargers. The 2.3kW is recommended for the Citigo and PHEVs such as the Octavia, as these have much smaller batteries so could be realistically charged from flat at home on one.

Admittedly granny chargers are handy to have, even on an Enyaq as it gives you the ability to get some charge in, albeit slowly. But it can be enough to get from a holiday cottage or relative's house to a rapid charger. Cheaper to get one from Screwfix/Argos/Amazon anyway.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
orrery

Post by orrery »

You can get a granny cable that will do 6/8/10/13 amps, switchable:

https://thirdrockenergy.co.uk/products/ ... -5-metre-1

I've got one and if you set it for 6 amps, it stays set at 6 amps.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Didn’t realise anyone actually did a 13A one in the UK. You’ll need a very good quality socket to pull 13A for more than a long without things getting warm though! I’d rather use a commando type for that current.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Xtopher

Post by Xtopher »

Our dealer (unofficially) told us the granny cable is not included as its effectively pointless for trying to charge the car regularly and Skoda weren't wanting a load of complaints when new owners found out it would take days to charge using the granny cable, even if it is actually quite handy to have! He also insinuated the Type 2 cable was included to indicate that you should be using a more powerful charger to charge regularly and that they do try to sell a EVSE (PodPoint or Elli) with it instead.
RichR

Post by RichR »

That sort of confirms my thinking on the reasoning for not including one, or listing it on the configurator (though it is in the Enyaq Accessories brochure).
Really on an EV with a decent sized battery you shouldn't really be relying on charging from a domestic socket anyway. Yes it's useful in specific situations, but there are enough public chargers around now that you should be able to plan things.

I'm still going to buy one though, just in case of emergency I can add 30 miles or so to get to a public charger if I even fail to leave enough for some reason ;)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post