Tow Bar electrics

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Bryanmet

Post by Bryanmet »

Got my Enyaq on Monday and have just fitted my back rack to the tow bar only to find the plug on the rack doesn’t fit into the tow bar electrics! Don’t see any options for electrics in the tow bar option. Anyone know what it comes with?
Private Car: Enyaq IV60 Suite - Brilliant Silver, 21” Alloys, Convenience Plus, Parking Basic, Climate Basic, Tow Bar, 100Kw. Ordered 21/07/21 - Delivered 22/11/21.

Perchede

Post by Perchede »

You need a 13/7 converter. Typically used for converting a caravan coupling to a trailer type.
Search for 'Electric Sets for Trailer Couplings' on Amazon.
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
Pict

Post by Pict »

The electrical connection on most modern tow bar fittings are 13 pin. This combines both the primary and secondary older style where there was a separate connection for lighting and supplemental electrics like leisure battery charging etc.

You can buy an adapter to convert the 13 pin to either single or dual 7 pin

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=13+pin+7+p ... -doa-p_1_8
60 Lounge, Quartz Grey, 100 kW charging, Tow bar, Sunroof, Comfort Basic, Family Basic, Climate Plus, Convenience Basic, Drive Sport Basic, Assisted Drive Basic, Parking Basic

Mrs PIct has MG ZS EV, so a fully electric household
RichR

Post by RichR »

As above - the 13 pin socket has been the standard since 2008 in the UK (further back in mainland Europe). All trailers and caravans built since 2008 should have a 13 pin socket unless it's been specifically requested to fit the older style ones. Adapters are cheap enough though for older trailers.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Bryanmet

Post by Bryanmet »

Managed to get an adapter and all good now! Bike rack is only 5 years old so surprised it’s not more up to date.
Private Car: Enyaq IV60 Suite - Brilliant Silver, 21” Alloys, Convenience Plus, Parking Basic, Climate Basic, Tow Bar, 100Kw. Ordered 21/07/21 - Delivered 22/11/21.
citylearn

Post by citylearn »

Just hooked up bike rack for first time last weekend. This immediately created 6 car defects including protection systems, autohold, rear traffic assist and others. Wouldn't allow car to start, so called Skoda Assistance (AA in reality). Even with all disconnected, couldn't get restart and then tailgate and other doors wouldn't open. Around 1.5 hours later, he arrived and car had obviously reset and worked normally. Tested lighting for rack on both 7 and 13 pin connections to his van and this worked fine, so fault with towbar and lighting preparation. He indicated car would normally reset after around 30 minutes. See what Skoda offer on Monday!

BIKE RACK NOT COMPATIBLE WITH SKODA ENYAQ!!!! Just heard from dealer who was investigating problem with Thule Easyfold bike rack, that according to them, the rack is not compatible with the car! Rack came with European 13 pin plug and they think my rack is too old (18 months) and I need a new one! Supposedly going to put this to skoda technical but not really convinced I'll get satisfactory result. At time of order, w told dealer we had rejected Kia e-niro as it couldn't carry bike rack and when picked up car at handover, senior salesman asked wife why we had picked enyaq. Her specific answer was "so that we could fit bike rack!" Now it seems we may still not be able to fit rack, unless it's one of theirs maybe? Not impressed with solution as I've never found anything that indicated or even hinted at needing a specifically compatible rack!
Wonder if Skoda technical read these posts and respond?
Had the Enyaq for over a year. iV80 Suite, Quartz Grey, 19” Regulus, 125kW, Electric Tow Bar, Climate, Light & View, Heat Pump, Convenience Package +, Asst Drive +, Comfort Seat Basic, Tethered Zappi for solar panels.
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

citylearn wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:31 am Just hooked up bike rack for first time last weekend. This immediately created 6 car defects including protection systems, autohold, rear traffic assist and others. Wouldn't allow car to start, so called Skoda Assistance (AA in reality). Even with all disconnected, couldn't get restart and then tailgate and other doors wouldn't open. Around 1.5 hours later, he arrived and car had obviously reset and worked normally. Tested lighting for rack on both 7 and 13 pin connections to his van and this worked fine, so fault with towbar and lighting preparation. He indicated car would normally reset after around 30 minutes. See what Skoda offer on Monday!

BIKE RACK NOT COMPATIBLE WITH SKODA ENYAQ!!!! Just heard from dealer who was investigating problem with Thule Easyfold bike rack, that according to them, the rack is not compatible with the car! Rack came with European 13 pin plug and they think my rack is too old (18 months) and I need a new one! Supposedly going to put this to skoda technical but not really convinced I'll get satisfactory result. At time of order, w told dealer we had rejected Kia e-niro as it couldn't carry bike rack and when picked up car at handover, senior salesman asked wife why we had picked enyaq. Her specific answer was "so that we could fit bike rack!" Now it seems we may still not be able to fit rack, unless it's one of theirs maybe? Not impressed with solution as I've never found anything that indicated or even hinted at needing a specifically compatible rack!
Seems very odd. Sounds like the Trailer Control Module is faulty and corrupting other systems on the Canbus network.
The Enyaqs electrics should be able to work with any standard lighting product attached to a 13pin trailer plug.
I have a couple of trailers, one with new LED rear lights and 13pin plug, and another with older incandescent rear lamps and a 7pin plug to 13pin adaptor. Both work fine with no issues.
I even have an old lighting board (20yrs+ old) I can just plug in with no problems too.

Have you tried plugging in a different trailer or lighting board to test the Enyaq yourself ?

Or get the dealer to plug in their official bike rack to prove it.
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

citylearn wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:31 am Just hooked up bike rack for first time last weekend. This immediately created 6 car defects including protection systems, autohold, rear traffic assist and others. Wouldn't allow car to start, so called Skoda Assistance (AA in reality). Even with all disconnected, couldn't get restart and then tailgate and other doors wouldn't open. Around 1.5 hours later, he arrived and car had obviously reset and worked normally. Tested lighting for rack on both 7 and 13 pin connections to his van and this worked fine, so fault with towbar and lighting preparation. He indicated car would normally reset after around 30 minutes. See what Skoda offer on Monday!

Very strange because I think the bike rack sold by Skoda is actually a Thule VeloCompact (rebadged) from looking at the images. Not your model but the same manufacturer. I'd be tempted to ask them to demonstrate your car working properly with their rack offering.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
Bryanmet

Post by Bryanmet »

I have a Thule Velospace rack that I bought in 2017. Needed a 13/7 pin adaptor with the Enyaq tow bar but seems to work fine.
citylearn

Post by citylearn »

Thanks for advices. As it happens, when collected car, dealer advised that they 'tried again' and it was now working. Tested and used on way home, seemed ok. Sceptical me wonders what did they actually do to fix it? Was it because I expressed dissatisfaction that a £47k car didn't work with a £700 bit of kit? No idea, and they certainly didnt want to admit to anything but I'll accept it if it stays working. Thule may come back to me in a week or so.
Had the Enyaq for over a year. iV80 Suite, Quartz Grey, 19” Regulus, 125kW, Electric Tow Bar, Climate, Light & View, Heat Pump, Convenience Package +, Asst Drive +, Comfort Seat Basic, Tethered Zappi for solar panels.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post