Snow handling

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Blaineyboy

Post by Blaineyboy »

Just wondering if anyone had chance to take their Enyaq out in the snow following the recent flurries, if so what was the handling like?
Ordered Mid Nov 2021
Build week 33
Delivered Mid October 2022)
Enyaq IV 60 loft
Arctic Silver
Drive Sports Package Basic
Climate Package Basic
Parking Package Basic (free upgrade to intelligent Park Plus)

Drumingtopbanana

Post by Drumingtopbanana »

No snow in Norfolk yet

But I was wondering how you turn off the Traction Control as sometimes you need to spin the wheels if you get stuck. I have looked through the manual and settings but nothing seems to leap out at me
Any ideas
orrery

Post by orrery »

Drumingtopbanana wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:51 am ... as sometimes you need to spin the wheels if you get stuck.
I've never heard that before. I've done quite bit of driving in snow over the years and the one thing you want to avoid is spinning the wheels and digging in to the snow.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

The cars ESC will reduce power / torque to the one
or both wheels if they are slipping, which is great safety tool most of time of year.

But in snow the cars traction control can think the car is out of control.

In this situation in the snow when both wheels are getting next to no torque, it can help to turn ESC off to make sure power gets to the wheels.

I can’t see an option to do that on the Enyaq either.

With no gearbox to select 2nd or 3rd to set off with. I am unsure how well it will deal with snow.

Not sure the weight and very wide tyres will help either 😩

Not took mine out in the snow so not sure how the rear wheel drive handles the snow.
Enyaq iV60 - Race Blue with 20” Vega Wheels,
Assisted Drive Package +, Convenience Package +,
Parking Package Basic, Drive Package Basic,
Climate Package Basic, 120 kW charging,
Light and View Package Basic,

Upgraded to ME 3.0
orrery

Post by orrery »

chillyboy123 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:23 pm Not took mine out in the snow so not sure how the rear wheel drive handles the snow.
It should be good, as the weight is reasonably balanced.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

Its shockingly bad on an ice slope. My wife called me from the end of the road last night becuase the car was slipping and she got scared. She got out to let me in and the car started slipping sideways, just manged to jump in and turn the wheel and get it to run into a curb. nightmare. Its weight is its achillies heel in this weather. I tried to get up the same slope this morning and no chance. Will have to get some winter tyres.
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.
thcrawley

Post by thcrawley »

I live in the Swiss Alps and have an Enyaq iV 80x 4x4 with Continental Conti Winter Contact tires. Just came up the mountain in a bad snow storm yesterday. Cars were all over the place but the Enyaq stormed through without any problems. :)
Tires didn't spin once even though there was icy conditions.
I have to buy chains because of the change in laws but I thinking they wont come out of the packaging!
ENYAQ IV 80x 4x4, delivered Oct 21
zice

Post by zice »

@thcrawley: i'm interested in the 80X and have some specific questions to 4WD behaviour:

- can you select a forced "snow" mode where both axles are engaged permanently?
- while driving, do you feel in any way the front motor when is engaged, like a perceived or slight delay, then a boost in power or traction?
- when starting from standstill in snow, do you feel anything different in motor behavior (as above) vs. on dry road?
- compared to a "classic" 4Motion/Xdrive/4Matic (if you had before) 4WD system, how would you compare this electric 4WD implementation?

I'm asking all this because before i had a "4Motion" Haldex and now a 4WD PHEV (2 electric motors) and there is a slight delay in normal mode before the front motor engages (default is rear motor), therefore it allows rear to spin a short bit before front engages. If i enable forced 4WD mode, all 4 wheels (2 axles) are engaged permanently, but sometimes ESP/ASR still regulates the high torque, esp. if having a heavier foot than normal.....In the old Haldex, the transition was absolutely not felt at all, it was smooth.

Also the ESP in the PHEV is quite nervous, esp. the ASR which regulates all that high torque from 0 rpm on slippery surfaces, meaning there is some weird noises in the process :)

Thanks!
Stripy

Post by Stripy »

My trip to Denmark on the 1st of December - arrived 50 meters from my parents house.
Note the shows in action 🤣

20EE8E2F-00C6-4D5F-A4B6-BAC17BE88908.jpeg

F2BB9525-F7EA-47E6-B5AD-0BA0FBDBEE14.jpeg

I think the car will do what it’s driver is capable of - but the tyres that it’s born with as standard, is… less than useful in snowy conditions, so be warned, all weather or full winter tyres is recommended - winter tyres for EV is as rare as hens teeth; yes, you can get the same size, but rarely as a full winter tyre in UK. Some would argue, that winter tyres should be narrower than the standard tyres the car is born with - but finding these that can take same weight is a challenge. Let’s hope VAG and all the other manufacturers convince the tyre manufacturers of making this available - also in the UK market.
m66dan

Post by m66dan »

I've got the 20" wheels on my Enyaq and this was the main issue. As already suggested, winter tyres do not exist in this size at the moment (I certainly could not find any and nor could my local tyre supplier). The best I could find was the Bridgestone Alenza Sport all season tyre. They are fitted now and will hopefully be better than the summer tyres that were standard and were really bad in the snow!

20211209_132700[1].jpg

20211209_132613[1].jpg

20211209_132607[1].jpg