Heating car interior for short trips

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Alk123

Post by Alk123 »

Other than using the front / rear heated seats and the heated steering wheel, what is the best way to heat up the car interior when doing short trips like a school run etc...we have a child who uses a car seat so the seat heating does not help and the interior feels cold, especially on a frosty morning.

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Depending on how easily you can recharge, personally I would just heat to at least 18, if not 20…. and not worry too much about it.

My son always whacks the heater up to ‘max’ - which frustrated me initially but if it’s just a 20 min journey, I’ve stopped worrying about it. That said, I do have the option to charge at home. Might be more annoying if I had to rely on public chargers.

On longer journeys, he’s happy with 20 ish, which barely takes 5% off the total range, if that.

By the way - I’ve noticed that having A/C on in conjunction with heating, doesn’t seem to adversely affect the range, so I leave it on all the time, to help keep the windows clear from mist.

A/C on in the summer might obviously affect range - but there shouldn’t be misting issues then.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Rudesing

Post by Rudesing »

I've been pre-heating the car for the last few days as I only have a 13 mile drive in the morning but it has been cold. Not only is it warm when I get in it, but also makes for much improved efficiency.
Bryanmet

Post by Bryanmet »

I set my remote aircon (20 degrees) to come on whilst it is still usually connected to home charger - 7 am in my case as my wife takes dogs out early. Car is always clear of frost and comfortable to drive.
Private Car: Enyaq IV60 Suite - Brilliant Silver, 21” Alloys, Convenience Plus, Parking Basic, Climate Basic, Tow Bar, 100Kw. Ordered 21/07/21 - Delivered 22/11/21.
Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

Tried pre-heating whilst connected to home charger (Sync EV) yesterday. As soon as pre-heating activated, according to Skoda App, charging was reduced from 6.5 kw to 1 kw although 80% charge limit had not been reached. I say according to Skoda App because my Smart Meter was still drawing over 6kw so assume the problem is with the App?
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

5kW is very realistic for heating. Car then had the remaining 1kW for charging
RichR

Post by RichR »

If you've set a target of 20C and the current temperature is around 0C, then it will draw a lot to start with, then it'll tail off as it approaches the target (ideally it shouldn't overshoot).

I'm struggling to find specs for the PTC heaters in the Enyaq - though I do know that it has two, one for the cabin and one for the battery, in addition to the optional heat pump. However 5kW is about the size many EVs use. It's possible that heat pump equipped models might use less, I haven't measured mine to find out though.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Actually mine’s still plugged in outside, so I’ve just made a screenshot of the charge rate with pre heating (interior) off and also with it on: 5kW draw, as RichR says…

9F344493-D25A-4311-9527-CBA3BFB2A5F8.jpeg

1A47C828-6084-4BEF-9EEA-B3B4B6E24961.jpeg

iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

So 5kW, when really heating up the car, but around 1kW to keep warm on target temp, I suppose. Atleast that's what I have gathered from videos.
Alk123

Post by Alk123 »

Thanks everyone for the above replies...

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post