Snow handling

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
zice

Post by zice »

Stripy wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:39 am My trip to Denmark on the 1st of December - arrived 50 meters from my parents house.
Note the shows in action 🤣

I think the car will do what it’s driver is capable of - but the tyres that it’s born with as standard, is… less than useful in snowy conditions, so be warned, all weather or full winter tyres is recommended - winter tyres for EV is as rare as hens teeth; yes, you can get the same size, but rarely as a full winter tyre in UK. Some would argue, that winter tyres should be narrower than the standard tyres the car is born with - but finding these that can take same weight is a challenge. Let’s hope VAG and all the other manufacturers convince the tyre manufacturers of making this available - also in the UK market.
you're not seriously driving with summer tyres in that? :)

Roo1980

Post by Roo1980 »

zice wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:57 am @thcrawley: i'm interested in the 80X and have some specific questions to 4WD behaviour:

- can you select a forced "snow" mode where both axles are engaged permanently?
- while driving, do you feel in any way the front motor when is engaged, like a perceived or slight delay, then a boost in power or traction?
- when starting from standstill in snow, do you feel anything different in motor behavior (as above) vs. on dry road?
- compared to a "classic" 4Motion/Xdrive/4Matic (if you had before) 4WD system, how would you compare this electric 4WD implementation?

I'm asking all this because before i had a "4Motion" Haldex and now a 4WD PHEV (2 electric motors) and there is a slight delay in normal mode before the front motor engages (default is rear motor), therefore it allows rear to spin a short bit before front engages. If i enable forced 4WD mode, all 4 wheels (2 axles) are engaged permanently, but sometimes ESP/ASR still regulates the high torque, esp. if having a heavier foot than normal.....In the old Haldex, the transition was absolutely not felt at all, it was smooth.

Also the ESP in the PHEV is quite nervous, esp. the ASR which regulates all that high torque from 0 rpm on slippery surfaces, meaning there is some weird noises in the process :)

Thanks!
Evs use a totally different 4wd system. Basically there is the main motor (the Enyaq has it in the rear) and a supplementary motor for additional power/traction (in the front).
In the enyaq, the 2nd motor is mainly used for hard acceleration and overtaking for a maximum of 30 seconds (I don't know why, probably for overheating, preserve battery power or both). For general everyday driving or cruising, the front motor does nothing apart from help with the regen I'd guess.
In snow, the front motor might help because of the extra weight in the front as well as with some grip if there is wheel slip/slide noticed by the sensors to aid in traction.
The motor electronics would have sensor inputs to help it to decide what to do with power and torque delivered to the rear motor and whether to engage the front motor.
zice

Post by zice »

Roo1980 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:20 pm Evs use a totally different 4wd system. Basically there is the main motor (the Enyaq has it in the rear) and a supplementary motor for additional power/traction (in the front).
In the enyaq, the 2nd motor is mainly used for hard acceleration and overtaking for a maximum of 30 seconds (I don't know why, probably for overheating, preserve battery power or both). For general everyday driving or cruising, the front motor does nothing apart from help with the regen I'd guess.
In snow, the front motor might help because of the extra weight in the front as well as with some grip if there is wheel slip/slide noticed by the sensors to aid in traction.
The motor electronics would have sensor inputs to help it to decide what to do with power and torque delivered to the rear motor and whether to engage the front motor.
yes, i know the theory but i'm interested in how it performs in practice, hence the quite specific questions ;)
Zarjaz

Post by Zarjaz »

m66dan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:08 pm I've got the 20" wheels on my Enyaq and this was the main issue. As already suggested, winter tyres do not exist in this size at the moment (I certainly could not find any and nor could my local tyre supplier). The best I could find was the Bridgestone Alenza Sport all season tyre. They are fitted now and will hopefully be better than the summer tyres that were standard and were really bad in the snow!
How are you finding these tyres in the snow? I have a 60, with the 20" Turanza Eco, and it's been sliding around all over the place today in the snow and slush around central Scotland!
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Zarjaz wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:27 pm
m66dan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:08 pm I've got the 20" wheels on my Enyaq and this was the main issue. As already suggested, winter tyres do not exist in this size at the moment (I certainly could not find any and nor could my local tyre supplier). The best I could find was the Bridgestone Alenza Sport all season tyre. They are fitted now and will hopefully be better than the summer tyres that were standard and were really bad in the snow!
How are you finding these tyres in the snow? I have a 60, with the 20" Turanza Eco, and it's been sliding around all over the place today in the snow and slush around central Scotland!
Had Turanzas on the Karoq they are utter usless when the temp dips and any sign of snow/ice on the road !
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
Bassoonbridge

Post by Bassoonbridge »

Went out yesterday with a little snow on the road, and 'enjoyed' an unnerving slow skid. Managed to regain control and glad to get home unscathed.
Quite a shock after 4wd Octavia.
thcrawley

Post by thcrawley »

zice wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:57 am @thcrawley: i'm interested in the 80X and have some specific questions to 4WD behaviour:

- can you select a forced "snow" mode where both axles are engaged permanently?
- while driving, do you feel in any way the front motor when is engaged, like a perceived or slight delay, then a boost in power or traction?
- when starting from standstill in snow, do you feel anything different in motor behavior (as above) vs. on dry road?
- compared to a "classic" 4Motion/Xdrive/4Matic (if you had before) 4WD system, how would you compare this electric 4WD implementation?
Im not sure about the technical aspect of the Enyaq 4x4. It feels the same as my two previous petrol 4x4s (Forester & Tiguan)
It also feels the same on snow and dry.
I note other comments regarding skidding. In my experience skidding downhill or after applying brakes is either bad or inappropriate tyres for the conditions or driver error.
ENYAQ IV 80x 4x4, delivered Oct 21
frankfurterbear1

Post by frankfurterbear1 »

Honestly, drove through near foot of snow on motorway and the car was like driving in normal conditions. People skidding etc, must be bad ice because in heavy snow last week was no issues.
Miket

Post by Miket »

Not driven in snow yet, but a few weeks back I was at a shooting comp parked in a field, the gate way to this field was a little bit muddy from other cars and the enyaq was crap just wanted to spin the rear wheels, I made a hasty retreat at the end of the day before all the other cars churned it up more