Upgrading the sound system

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
DanishFamilyMan

Post by DanishFamilyMan »

I have been looking at this plug n' play sound system for my enyaq.
https://www.bassbrothers.no/bilstereop ... koda-enyaq
Not that I think the standard solution in the Enyaq is terrible, but I just love great sound and it seems like this upgrade is a perfect way to spend £900, and the DIY installation video on YouTube make it looks like a piece of cake :lol:
Have anyone bought this or have any expirence with other DIY sound upgrade.
IV 80 First edition, SW 3.0, Black magic, Heatpump, 125kw, Suite cabin, 21" Betria, Towbar, Assisted Drive Plus, Transport package, Climate Package Plus, Comfort seat, Convenience Plus with alarm, Drive Sport Plus, Light and view, family basic.

orrery

Post by orrery »

When you say 'great sound' I presume you mean loads of bass.
Adding a boom box is unlikely to improve the overall sound.
My Leaf has a Bose system with a bass box in the boot. I listened to a few tracks and then took the bass box out, which improved it loads. I also get more space in the boot.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
RichR

Post by RichR »

The workshop manual shows a subwoofer (and the wiring for it) in the big storage hole in the boot floor. I guess this will be on the optional upgraded Skoda system that hasn't been released yet.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

orrery wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:05 am When you say 'great sound' I presume you mean loads of bass.
My Leaf has a Bose system with a bass box in the boot. I listened to a few tracks and then took the bass box out, which improved it loads. I also get more space in the boot.

I know what you mean. My son thinks “great sound” is anything that makes walls shake and other peoples’ car alarms go off !

It’s very subjective - for me personally, I prefer what’s known as a ‘flat response’ - meaning there’s no artificial enhancement of bass, mid or treble. But that’s probably because I produce music and appreciate hearing all the nuances without one set of frequencies overriding another.

The Enyaq system is perfect for me in that respect - almost like a pair of NS10m Studio monitors - with a decent amount of treble and bass enhancement without getting in the way, when I want to dial that in. However, that won’t be enough for many people, who want to feel the ‘808 Bass Drum” thundering through their bones!
Last edited by Goaty on Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

Me too - my degree is in electronics with a significant portion being audio and digital signal processing. Even 20 years on, my ear is quite sensitive to distortion in its many forms. I find the Enyaq sound system well suited to my type of music (mainly NWOBHM :D) and also speech audio (podcasts and audiobooks). I have (in my younger days) built excessive sound systems in cars with totally unnecessary amounts of power - but getting things balanced and with a flat response can quite tricky. Having a couple of 15" subwoofers in the boot of a Renault 5 also required quite a bit of sound deadening to stop the doors rattling...
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

RichR wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:47 am I find the Enyaq sound system well suited to my type of music (mainly NWOBHM :D)

Do you “turn it up to 11” ?

🔊 🔊 🎸 !
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
DanishFamilyMan

Post by DanishFamilyMan »

orrery wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:05 am When you say 'great sound' I presume you mean loads of bass.
Actually, with this package, I was hoping for an overall improvement - not just the bass part.
The 8 (9) built in speakers will all be disconnected from the standart skoda amplifier and re-connected to the new amplifier. I say 8 because the 9th small center speaker is (recording to Bass Brothers) of such low quality, that it's not worth reconnecting to the new amplifier.
But the remaining 8 speakers should be of such good quality, that the output will be significantly improved by the new amplifier.
IV 80 First edition, SW 3.0, Black magic, Heatpump, 125kw, Suite cabin, 21" Betria, Towbar, Assisted Drive Plus, Transport package, Climate Package Plus, Comfort seat, Convenience Plus with alarm, Drive Sport Plus, Light and view, family basic.
RichR

Post by RichR »

The small centre speaker on the dashboard isn’t used by the infotainment. It’s for the SOS emergency call and other system sounds.
sam_vasu

Post by sam_vasu »

Am I the only one who had to Google “NWOBHM”? :D

To be honest I’m pretty happy with the standard sound system - I’ve just whacked up the treble a tiny bit and the bass a fair bit. No issues with sound quality.

Has anyone U.K.-based managed to get internet radio working? I would like to use it to listen to the occasional foreign station but I believe we now have some sort of strange U.K. law banning foreign radio-playing apps(?)
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

sam_vasu wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:22 pm Am I the only one who had to Google “NWOBHM”? :D

Nope !!

sam_vasu wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:22 pm
Has anyone U.K.-based managed to get internet radio working? I would like to use it to listen to the occasional foreign station but I believe we now have some sort of strange U.K. law banning foreign radio-playing apps(?)

I haven’t yet; I think it would have to be tethered to a phone though, as I don’t think the cars’ own connectivity caters for internet radio.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post