Someone said AC had no impact on range....

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
orrery

Post by orrery »

orrery wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:25 pm I've seen mentioned elsewhere that, where the heating is derived from a heat pump, the aircon can be used to dehumidify the air with no additional energy requirement.

It was my understanding that aircon should always be left on, as the fluid needs to be circulated to provide lubrication for the seals - otherwise the seals will dry out and the aircon will de-gas.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.

RallimG

Post by RallimG »

l
RichR wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:30 am RallimG - where did you get that information, please? It's not mentioned in the workshop manual. There's a recommendation that you shouldn't try to cool the car more than 5 degrees below ambient but that's all I can find. I know that the aircon compressor on all my previous Subarus will still engage at well below freezing, but it will cut out if the car's interior temperature gets below about 5C. However you'd be using aircon plus heater, so it won't take long to warm up and then it can work normally.

(I'm not saying you're wrong, just that if there's another source of technical information available, I'd like to add it to my list of resources)
I just took it from the manual, there maybe more to the Enyaq system to other /older air-con systems and I've got the wrong end of the stick as it specifically talking about cooling - :-)

enyaq air con.jpg

On a VW Sharan I owned the air-con had a separate sensor in the bumper - when the temp was below 5 degrees the air-con would disengage (the wire had come off it when we first had the car and the air-con would not work!)
I've always found it quite noticeable that the windows do not clear as fast or even keep clear when the external temp was below the cut-off level indicating it was no longer 'drying the air' - on all the cars I've owned with AC / Climate control - Sharan, Galaxy and currently a Citroen C4.
Enyaq iV Sportline, Energy Blue, 125kW Charging, Family Pack, Climate+, Conv. +, Drive+, Infotainment+ & Assisted Drive +.
Ordered Jun 2021 - delivered Jan 2023.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Ah - that’s for when you’re cooling the interior, to prevent the evaporator freezing as you said. For heating and drying it doesn’t apply though, as warm air is being blown through the evaporator. 🙂
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
RallimG

Post by RallimG »

Well that's good news - another feature to look forward to when I get it! :D
Enyaq iV Sportline, Energy Blue, 125kW Charging, Family Pack, Climate+, Conv. +, Drive+, Infotainment+ & Assisted Drive +.
Ordered Jun 2021 - delivered Jan 2023.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post