DASH CAM HELP

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

RichR wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:06 pm I used the feed to the rear view mirror in my Subaru Outback - it had a 10A fuse, I guess because the powered version of the mirror (not fitted on UK models) has a few functions (compass, universal infrared garage door opener, dimming etc). Could put a small relay or transistor circuit up there to provide a higher current switched 12V when something low current like the lights or mirror power are enabled maybe.
Well, you'd need a buck convertor to reduce power to 5v anyway for most dashcams, so a few more switching components could be added. I wonder if there's space up there ?

I know some Skoda's have a mini USB connector in the mirror housing ready for use with a dashcam, but its only on LH drive vehicles ( connector is on wrong side of mirror for us ), but they chose not to install it on the Enyaq anyway !
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.

RichR

Post by RichR »

If I decide to fit a dashcam to my Enyaq I’ll investigate 🙂

Far easier when I fitted one in our VW Caravelle - no airbags in the A pillars, the covers of which come off easily. Also the end cap of the dashboard just pops off and gives easy access through to the fuse box. I guess 15 year old VW vans are designed for all sorts of additional wiring in mind!
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
briseide

Post by briseide »

Hello,
any of you know this dashcam? https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx-da ... 3780945068 For the Enyaq it should be model B or C.
The power is taken from the rain sensor
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

briseide wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:18 pm Hello,
any of you know this dashcam? https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx-da ... 3780945068 For the Enyaq it should be model B or C.
Looks interesting. 10/10 for design and integration. I certainly like the way they use the vehicles existing supply near the installation - no need for cable pulling down the A pillar to the fuse box. :)

Unsure of the actual camera itself though, the resolution is pretty mediocre for the price. No idea what the actual sensor they use is either. Guess all the costs have gone into the physical design of the case.

Hardly any good reviews out there yet even though its been on the market a year or so.

Are there any UK retailers selling it ? It only seems to be available from China. :?

But I wonder if it falls foul with UK Regulation 30 of the Road vehicles construction etc. - items bigger than 40mm in the drivers view, other than original fitments like sun visors, etc ?

Most add on dashcams are only stuck on (temporarily) and can easily be removed from the windscreen and should always be fitted on the passenger side away from the driver.
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

RichR wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:17 pm If I decide to fit a dashcam to my Enyaq I’ll investigate 🙂

Far easier when I fitted one in our VW Caravelle - no airbags in the A pillars, the covers of which come off easily. Also the end cap of the dashboard just pops off and gives easy access through to the fuse box. I guess 15 year old VW vans are designed for all sorts of additional wiring in mind!
I spotted on AliExpress a custom made Y adaptor cable for tapping into the rain sensor cct to power a dash cam. Needs further investigation :)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 31a3WwgMpd

ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

I like the look of this but I'm so far off receiving my Enyaq they'll probably be on v4 by the time I'm looking at getting one. I'd like to see a few independent successful install and review videos before ordering but this will probably be near the top of my list when the time comes.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
RichR

Post by RichR »

I did look into the Enyaq's own camera and wondered why manufacturers don't tend to offer dashcam functionality from the car's built in camera(s). The simple reason is that the camera in most cars is highly optimised for recognition of road markings and road signs, and doesn't produce a nice full colour high framerate video signal that would be suitable for traffic recording. Tesla get around it by having several cameras for example.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
briseide

Post by briseide »

It is installed in the center, it doesn't obstruct the view so I don't think it's a problem. I contacted them, they told me that a customer bought the model C for the Enyaq and it should arrive next week. They ship everywhere. We await his feedback
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

Very interesting can you post how fitting goes and if it should be B or C.
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

The cost of having a Nextbase camera, hardwire kit and SD card professionally fitted by my local Skoda dealer was just £200. Whilst I appreciate many will enjoy the challenge of a DIY fit this is not a risk I was willing to take. In my example the B pillar trim has to be replaced - the cost of this replacement is being borne by my Skoda dealer. So for me in terms of risk and reward, DIY fitting or even fitting by a non-Skoda dealer, runs some risk of warranty infringement, a risk I’m not willing to take to save a relatively small amount of money. This is simply my perspective am sure others will have an alternative view!
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post