How’s the charging network around Cornwall?

The place to discuss everything else..
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Hello all,

We’re heading there next week (Padstow area) and according to Zap Map, there appears to be a relatively decent network around much of Cornwall….. but does anyone have any recent real-world experience in the area?

I ‘should’ just about make it there from Surrey with a 100% charge 🤞

Many thanks!
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

RichR

Post by RichR »

There aren't many 100kW+ chargers (though there is one near Padstow I think). But there are quite a few Geniepoint 50kW ones in council carparks, with free parking (whilst plugged in). There are also quite a few BP and Shell ones about - but again nothing over 50kW. I've used the ones in Holsworthy and Bude with no problems for example.

On your route, Cullompton (Ionity) or Exeter (Gridserve) are probably good places to stop for lunch and get a 90% charge before you head into Devon and Cornwall. Also can recommend MFG Filton services just off the M5 in Bristol. I've been to north Cornwall from North Yorkshire a few times without issue.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
bristolian

Post by bristolian »

Especially Exeter, where Gridserve have just added 12 (yes twelve!) new 350kW chargers in addition to the existing 60kW ones, and at 45p/kWh as opposed to 69p for the Ionity ones at Cullompton which we previously used.
Enyaq IV 80 Race Blue 125kW, Tow Bar, Comfort Seat Package Basic, Convenience Package Plus, Light And View Package Basic, Transport Package, Parking Package Plus, Assisted Drive Package Basic, Climate Package Plus.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Ionity is only 29p with the Powerpass card, which makes it almost the same as charging at home (until they put the price up). :D

You get 1 year of this discount with the Enyaq (unless you've got an early one with 50kW charge limit).
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
bristolian

Post by bristolian »

OK, didn't know that, time to sign up to Powerpass! Thanks.
Enyaq IV 80 Race Blue 125kW, Tow Bar, Comfort Seat Package Basic, Convenience Package Plus, Light And View Package Basic, Transport Package, Parking Package Plus, Assisted Drive Package Basic, Climate Package Plus.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Many Skoda dealers are also unaware of it, to be fair. It's because VW Group partly own Ionity, so they offer discounts for all their EVs. The scheme has different names depending on whether you have a Skoda, VW, Audi, Porsche or Seat etc., but they're all run by the same company. After the first year of free subscription, you can then change to paying a monthly amount to keep the same pricing, or cancel it.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Thanks RichR & Bristolian; Very helpful.

Zap Map identified Exeter Gridserve as somewhere to stop (ABRP didn’t!) but I might look out for that ionity one, as I already activated my pass. That should give me plenty to get into Cornwall and then keep myself going on the fast charger in Padstow.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

I tend not to rely on the 'tell me where to charge' in Zap-map and ABRP as they don't know about things like where is a nice place to stop (eg Gloucester Services are way nicer than Bridgewater Services). Similarly taking a slightly longer route (maybe 10 miles on a 300 mile journey) can give you more charging options, but they don't tend to have that flexibility as they pick the route first then look for chargers nearby. But definitely use the filters to work out what exists where, so you can nudge the route planners to picking that one if you need to by adding it as a stopover.
metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

I was in Cornwall last August and regularly topped up on 50kw chargers at most of the car parks we went too.

All of those along the sea front had them but it wasn't the same story in Devon where we found it much harder to get on a charger. Things may have changed by now though.
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

RichR wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:22 am There aren't many 100kW+ chargers (though there is one near Padstow I think). But there are quite a few Geniepoint 50kW ones in council carparks, with free parking (whilst plugged in). There are also quite a few BP and Shell ones about - but again nothing over 50kW. I've used the ones in Holsworthy and Bude with no problems for example.

On your route, Cullompton (Ionity) or Exeter (Gridserve) are probably good places to stop for lunch and get a 90% charge before you head into Devon and Cornwall. Also can recommend MFG Filton services just off the M5 in Bristol. I've been to north Cornwall from North Yorkshire a few times without issue.

Thanks RichR - good call on Cullompton - especially with a Maccy D’s inside! I was lucky and got the last space out of 4. An i-Pace turned up about a minute after me, and was still waiting 40 mins later when we left. Definitely need more chargers, Boris !!

Very impressive range today - 4.0 m/kWh most of the way and I probably would have got 300 miles from a home charge if I’d have been brave enough; I didn’t really need to stop at Cullompton. Around 15 Celsius today.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post