Cleaning - Proteus alloys!

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

I’ve spent the past 2 hours trying to give the car its first proper clean since it was delivered. The standard Proteus alloys can only be described as a nightmare to clean. Do I take it most people don’t clean their own cars or have other wheels? There are so many different surfaces to attack on Proteus that they take forever.

I was going to buy a second pair in black to put winter tyres on but I think I’ll opt for the Crystal wheels for the winter tyres or might even put the different wheels on the Summer tyres and keep the Proteus for winter tyres.

Anyone else found them tricky to clean and have any tips and tricks?
Ordered August 2021, collected 28/4
iV60 Loft, v3.0 software,
Velvet red, pano roof,
basic parking and convenience pack
100kw upgraded free of charge
Podpoint home charger

dezember

Post by dezember »

What do you mean by "hard"? Is it the brake dust won't come off? Won't a pressure washer just spray it all out?
iV60 Metallic Green :) Assisted Drive. Climate basic. Light & view. Parking plus. Lounge. Ordered 1st Dec 2021. Delivered in August 2022.
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

The rear wheels are fine due to the drum brakes. The disc brakes create the dust but it’s all the grooves that are difficult to reach especially the gutter type channel behind the spokes
Velvet red, pano roof,
Podpoint home charger
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

CB4E3551-E609-4913-B5FE-642CD35246EE.jpeg

Velvet red, pano roof,
Podpoint home charger
awi8

Post by awi8 »

Foam lance and snow foam will do the job for you👍
Enyaq iV 80 Loft I Race Blue I 135kW charging I heat pump I assisted drive basic I drive sport basic I convenience basic I climate basic I parking basic I Ordered 21/12/20 I Build week 46 2022 I Collection date 17th Jan 2023
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

Okay what type of snow foam and lance do I need please? I have a very old Karcher pressure washer with no ability to change settings does that make a difference?
Velvet red, pano roof,
Podpoint home charger
awi8

Post by awi8 »

I have a base model Nilfisk with only on and off button 😂 I use DR Dirt foam lance with it. It's super easy to use and works great with the alloy wheels also. You should try different snow foams to find best for you. My favorite is "ValetPro advanced neutral snow foam".
Enyaq iV 80 Loft I Race Blue I 135kW charging I heat pump I assisted drive basic I drive sport basic I convenience basic I climate basic I parking basic I Ordered 21/12/20 I Build week 46 2022 I Collection date 17th Jan 2023
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

Ok thanks, I’ve ordered a snow lance and some foam - I’ll give it a go
Velvet red, pano roof,
Podpoint home charger
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

IanEV wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:36 pm I’ve spent the past 2 hours trying to give the car its first proper clean since it was delivered. The standard Proteus alloys can only be described as a nightmare to clean. Do I take it most people don’t clean their own cars or have other wheels? There are so many different surfaces to attack on Proteus that they take forever.

I was going to buy a second pair in black to put winter tyres on but I think I’ll opt for the Crystal wheels for the winter tyres or might even put the different wheels on the Summer tyres and keep the Proteus for winter tyres.

Anyone else found them tricky to clean and have any tips and tricks?

I've had a set of winter wheels for my current and previous car (Octavia estates 16"), and change them over myself.
But I'm put off doing the same for the Enyaq because of the size of the wheels 19", (lifting and storing) and the weight of the car (over 2ton).
Do you change the wheels yourself or get a garage to do it?

I'm looking at getting all season winter tyres (3PMSF), which annoyingly weren't available as an option.
I know they are a compromise, and I'm not sure how they'd affect road noise and consumption. Thoughts?
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

I was planning on changing them myself. Jacking the car won’t be an issue. My campervan is 3.5 t and lifts the same as a normal car. I take your point regarding the lifting/ storage of the wheels though.

I had all season tyres on our Octavia (5 years) and full winter tyres on our two cars previous to the Octavia.(7 years).

Without question winter tyres are far better in the snow in my experience which is why I’ll be buying a set again. Our Octavia (1.0 Tsi) was poor on snow even with All Season tyres. It couldn’t climb hills if they had snow of them.

With the Enyaq being rear wheel drive, I’m expecting snow driving will be more challenging than the Octavia and it’s not something I’d want to risk to All Season tyres.
Velvet red, pano roof,
Podpoint home charger

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post