Dash cam

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
skrachs

Post by skrachs »

I believe this video will help you :)
Enyaq 80 eco suite, Quartz Grey,20" Vega, Climate Plus, Family Basic, Assisted Drive Plus, Area View, Transport, Light & View Basic, Drive Sport Basic, Comfort Seat Basic, 125Kw charging, Convention Plus, Heat Pump, Towbar

Ordered 09.21.

dezember

Post by dezember »

skrachs wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:10 am I believe this video will help you :)

Thank you so much!! Will decide whether I've got the guts to open up so many panels especially those housing the airbags :)
iV60 Metallic Green :) Assisted Drive. Climate basic. Light & view. Parking plus. Lounge. Ordered 1st Dec 2021. Delivered in August 2022.
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

Just had an installer out to fit my dashcam and rear window camera. As it happens we decided to postpone it for another day when it isn't chucking it down but while he was here we have a quick look at the job. He said he has done loads of Enyaqa and ID3's and ID4's and that they're great to work on. I said he normally routes the rear camera through the rubber conduit connecting the boot tothe main body which is what I wanted. However, he also said, 'just to make you aware, fitting the rear camera will cause some radio interference on the DAB stations because the wire runs past the DAB antenna patches which are mounted near the rubber connecting conduits to the boot'. He has run the wire through both the left and right-hand side conduit but interference is still an issue. He found it worse when using the cable choke that is supplied with the rear camera which is suposed to reduce or eliminate the interference.

Has anyone else noticed this interference issue? Did you manage to solve it? If so how? I don't mind losing the odd obscure radio station, but if it messes up radio 4, I won't bother with it.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

ChangoMutney wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:29 pm Just had an installer out to fit my dashcam and rear window camera. As it happens we decided to postpone it for another day when it isn't chucking it down but while he was here we have a quick look at the job. He said he has done loads of Enyaqa and ID3's and ID4's and that they're great to work on. I said he normally routes the rear camera through the rubber conduit connecting the boot tothe main body which is what I wanted. However, he also said, 'just to make you aware, fitting the rear camera will cause some radio interference on the DAB stations because the wire runs past the DAB antenna patches which are mounted near the rubber connecting conduits to the boot'. He has run the wire through both the left and right-hand side conduit but interference is still an issue. He found it worse when using the cable choke that is supplied with the rear camera which is suposed to reduce or eliminate the interference.

Has anyone else noticed this interference issue? Did you manage to solve it? If so how? I don't mind losing the odd obscure radio station, but if it messes up radio 4, I won't bother with it.
I used to get interference too, which resulted in a drop in the radio signal strength on certain stations, FM and DAB. My rear camera cable runs along the left hand side of the headlining and then down the left hand rear gaitor/conduit to the camera. It was quite bad at first, but then I added lots of decent quality ferrite cores (chokes) from RS along the length of the rear cable which seems to have cured 90% of the problems. I even added them to the supply cable from the passenger fuse box to the front camera.
Its quite common for this to happen after a rear camera install especially with the latest quad HD definition cameras.
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

tiger tony wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:12 pm
ChangoMutney wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:29 pm Just had an installer out to fit my dashcam and rear window camera. As it happens we decided to postpone it for another day when it isn't chucking it down but while he was here we have a quick look at the job. He said he has done loads of Enyaqa and ID3's and ID4's and that they're great to work on. I said he normally routes the rear camera through the rubber conduit connecting the boot tothe main body which is what I wanted. However, he also said, 'just to make you aware, fitting the rear camera will cause some radio interference on the DAB stations because the wire runs past the DAB antenna patches which are mounted near the rubber connecting conduits to the boot'. He has run the wire through both the left and right-hand side conduit but interference is still an issue. He found it worse when using the cable choke that is supplied with the rear camera which is suposed to reduce or eliminate the interference.

I used to get interference too, which resulted in a drop in the radio signal strength on certain stations, FM and DAB. My rear camera cable runs along the left hand side of the headlining and then down the left hand rear gaitor/conduit to the camera. It was quite bad at first, but then I added lots of decent quality ferrite cores (chokes) from RS along the length of the rear cable which seems to have cured 90% of the problems. I even added them to the supply cable from the passenger fuse box to the front camera.
Its quite common for this to happen after a rear camera install especially with the latest quad HD definition cameras.
That's useful information, thanks. Makes me think I should get a backwards facing camera unit instead. Did you loop the chokes or just add them like beads on a string?
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

ChangoMutney wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:59 pm
tiger tony wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:12 pm

That's useful information, thanks. Makes me think I should get a backwards facing camera unit instead. Did you loop the chokes or just add them like beads on a string?
Both, I used about 5 or 6 split/clamp over types along the length of the rear cable (mostly at the rear) and a 35mm ring to loop some of the excess through. Another improvement was re-routing the cable away from any antennas. All trial and error (and luck) !
But I'm happy with results.
Hopefully gonna trial a new camera system soon, the excellent Viofo A229 duo which claims to greatly reduce rear camera interference.

I wouldnt bother with rear facing cameras. Image is ridiculously tiny and restricted
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

tiger tony wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:31 pm I wouldnt bother with rear facing cameras. Image is ridiculously tiny and restricted
Just to clarify, I was thinking I might mount a completely separate camera on the back like a 322 or 422 and just have the stand-alone 622 at the front, rather than the rear-facing Auxillary camera plugged into the front camera. It would mean 2 completely separate cameras, but would it avoid the interference issue? Presumably it would result in a better quality rear facing image? I'm not experienced with these sorts of things, so not sure if power rather than signal would still cause a radio signal issue.
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

ChangoMutney wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:14 pm
tiger tony wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:31 pm I wouldnt bother with rear facing cameras. Image is ridiculously tiny and restricted
Just to clarify, I was thinking I might mount a completely separate camera on the back like a 322 or 422 and just have the stand-alone 622 at the front, rather than the rear-facing Auxillary camera plugged into the front camera. It would mean 2 completely separate cameras, but would it avoid the interference issue? Presumably it would result in a better quality rear facing image? I'm not experienced with these sorts of things, so not sure if power rather than signal would still cause a radio signal issue.
A completely separate dash cam mounted at the rear would be much better as you'd only have the power cable feeding it, no high frequency data signals causing interference. I know a few people who have done this.
The only disadvantage is they are slightly larger so would obstruct your rear vision slightly more than the usual auxiliary rear ones. And you'd have two SD cards to trawl through to try and combine the images. But never the less it's a really good option.
And you'd have power available somewhere already in the boot lid, so no running cables through the rubber gaiters to the roof area !
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

tiger tony wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:46 am
ChangoMutney wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:14 pm
A completely separate dash cam mounted at the rear would be much better as you'd only have the power cable feeding it, no high frequency data signals causing interference. I know a few people who have done this.
The only disadvantage is they are slightly larger so would obstruct your rear vision slightly more than the usual auxiliary rear ones. And you'd have two SD cards to trawl through to try and combine the images. But never the less it's a really good option.
And you'd have power available somewhere already in the boot lid, so no running cables through the rubber gaiters to the roof area !
Good point about the power not going through the gaiters. However, I can't think of a circuit that will be permanently on, or even on continuously when the ignition is on. The wiper, indicators, number plate illumination etc presumably only have power momentarily while active?
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

Theres an ignition on supply (15) available for the rear wiper motor which could be tapped off. Fuse 66, 15A. I'm sure the few mA drawn by the camera wouldn't worry it .

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post