Problem connecting Enyaq to Home Wi-Fi Extender

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Badger

Post by Badger »

I am using TP-LINK extender (Model: TL-WPA8631P KIT) to connect my garage to the house Wi-Fi router. The extender allows me to connect my Zappi EV charger, mobile and tablet to the home Wi-Fi system without any difficulty. Please note: Despite the SSID stating 5GHz in the name, it is actually 2.4GHz.

I was hoping to connect my Enyaq to the Wi-Fi via the extender. The car is parked next to the charger so is in range. However, I continuously fail.

When I go to Wi-Fi settings, the Enyaq picks up and displays local Wi-Fi networks from neighbouring houses but mine has a red link through my Wi-Fi icon and I get the message “This network’s security setting is not supported.” See the images.

The TP-LINK’s security setting is WPA/WPA2-Personal (Default). The only options I have are:

No security
WEP
WPA/WPA2 -Personal
WPA2/WPA3 – Personal

Why will the Enyaq not access the TP-LINK? Will it connect to the WEP or WPA2/WP3 alternatives? I am not an IT geek, so would be grateful for a simple response to which my simple brain cell would understand. :D

Many thanks

20220823_Enyaq Wi-Fi 1.jpg

20220823_Enyaq Wi-Fi 2.jpg

20220823_Enyaq Wi-Fi 3.jpg

Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

I don’t have a straight answer-just a suggestion: have you explored the options in the security box? I see it has an arrow…

I used TP Link AND Cat 5 cable (external grade) run through the conduit to the garage. The signal has been strong and reliable (Sky).

Fossilnot
Badger

Post by Badger »

It opens up the options mentioned in my original message:

No security
WEP
WPA/WPA2 -Personal
WPA2/WPA3 – Personal
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

The reason for the red bar through the wifi signal icon is because there is NO encryption/password on that particular wifi network. The Enyaq will NOT connect to an open unsecured system.

The Enyaq works fine on the old WPA (Wifi Protected Access), normal WPA2 and the latest WPA3 encryptions. I can't comment on WEP systems as this is pretty ancient nowadays.
All these are the Personal (PSK) versions and obviously only on 2.4Ghz networks.

Try changing the TP-link settings to a different security setting ?
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.
Badger

Post by Badger »

I believe there is a password requirement on the TP-Link network, as I had to enter a password for the EV charger, my mobile and the tablet. The password is redacted on the third image.

I am not sure why the WPA options on the security setting has 'Personal' after both.

I will try altering the setting but I have been experiencing problems with my Zappi charger and the installer is trying to minimise the variables in sorting out the unit. I will speak to him as he installed the TP-Link extender.

I am grateful for your assistance.
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

Nearly all WPA encryptions for the domestic market are classed as 'Personal', ie just one common basic password for everybody connecting to it. The other encryption class is 'Enterprise' - mainly used for large businesses, with many clients connecting to it.

How many wifi clients can your TPlink wifi support at one time ?
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.
Badger

Post by Badger »

As it is purely a domestic Wi-Fi network, just 2 or max 3.
Delbert_Wilkins

Post by Delbert_Wilkins »

My Enyaq has never reliably connected to my domestic wifi. That is to say that it connects when I select the network and input the password - but the next time I get into the Enyaq, it will have disconnected and won’t connect again. I have to forget the network and punch in the password again - and hey presto it connects once more.

I’ve largely given up on it, tbh.
iV80 Suite | Quartz Grey | Comfort Basic | Family Plus | Assisted Drive Basic | 125kW | Rear Side Airbags | Heat Pump | 20” Vega Wheels.
Ordered 31/8; Build week 44; Collected 28/12/21.
orrery

Post by orrery »

Speculation: It may be worth checking the channel for the WiFi. If the wifi is operating on a high channel, then the car may not see it - different channels are approved for different countries.

I had to force the WiFi onto channel 8 or lower to get my leaf to connect.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Out of interest, does anyone know what services the Enyaq will run over an external Wifi connection? I can only think of internet radio and the hotspot functionality. Certainly updates and the app only use the car's 4G interface as far as I can find information about - they don't connect to wifi.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post