Software update notification

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Tungro

Post by Tungro »

tiger tony wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:07 pm
Tungro wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:46 pm I had the notification too, this afternoon. I installed it and it appears to have done... nothing obvious? Still have ME3.0, showing as 0333.

The update itself stated that the update contains:

Information about Over-the-Air Update

* Improved display of future version information
* The update is required to ensure information is displayed correctly in the future
You must understand that the information regarding the software version 0333 shown on the infotainment system screen is just that - THE SOFTWARE FOR THE INFOTAINMENT SCREEN ONLY.

It has nothing to do with the 40 or so other modules with their own software that make up the whole of the vehicle. Any number of these modules may have had a small update given to them during your recent download. The only way to find out is to plug in an OBD reader and check each module.

When ME3.1 finally comes along over the air, it will update quite a few other modules with new software and it will also update the infotainment screen software to its new version of 0561. Every vehicle will have different software due to the vast choice of options and extras but the screen will still show only 0561.

Hope that makes sense.
Yes, I know there are many systems that are in the car that are individually updatable and hence are on different internal versions. But there should be an overall package version number, and I was under the impression that the version showing on the Infotainment screen was the overall package version. From that version number, a Skoda dealer could then check and see that an overall version of 0333 means that the drive train computer is on version 123 and the brake system on version 765 etc etc. After all, the "human friendly" name of ME3.0 is the overall update, and this seems tied to the Infotainment version shown. You said yourself - ME3.1 will show 0561 on the Infotainment system.

The point I'm trying to make really is that if there was a change to any subsystem, I'd expect that subsystem version to change, and that to roll up too, so the overall version number increments by one when ANY subsystem changes. Whether that actually happens or not, I don't know!
60 Suite Pearl (Black magic) - delivered March 2022. UK based.
Parking pack (basic) and Climate pack. ME3.0

Walter Eagle

Post by Walter Eagle »

Before I placed my order for my Enyaq and again when I collected it, I asked the two different sales guys I saw, "How do you handle maintenace issues?"
The response was the usual blasé, "Oh these cars need virtually no maintenance. There's no moving parts to adjust, no oil changes, nothing like that. We probably won't see you again for a couple of years."

I explained, "No, I'm talking about software maintenance. How do you manage the roll-out of service packs, bug fixes, upgrades, new features, optional extras ... ? Because those modifications will happen. If you're assuming Skoda have got the software so perfect that it won't need touching for two years you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Microsoft send me a monthly notification of Windows updates. And that's a far more mature system than we're talking about here. Will you be doing the same thing?"

Both the sales guys were hopelessly at a loss. They stumbled and uhm-ed and aah-ed and invented nonsense on the spot.

Anyway, It seems that Skoda may have a systematic process for software management (dear God, I hope they have) but they're certainly not revealing it to anyone - dealers or customers. And the effort being put in to implementing it does seem to be really lacking in resources or equipment. I read in a previous post from someone the suggestion that OTA (over the air) updates will be scheduled according to VIN codes because there are so many Enyaqs out there. I sincerely hope that was a joke. If Skoda can't handle a few thousand clients (or tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands - it doesn't really matter) within a matter of a few days they've not understood the world in which their vehicles are competing. The Enyaq isn't a car, it's a fixed hardware platform permanently waiting for firmware and software updates. How they manage the 40+ sub-systems and coordinate the variations in these, and roll out major upgrades affecting multiple sub-systems is up to Skoda. I just strongly feel that they haven't grasped the nature of the problem yet and therefore we're not going to be seeing a holistic solution any time soon.
ifightdragons

Post by ifightdragons »

Perfectly summed up, Walter Eagle.
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

Tungro wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:44 pm
The point I'm trying to make really is that if there was a change to any subsystem, I'd expect that subsystem version to change, and that to roll up too, so the overall version number increments by one when ANY subsystem changes. Whether that actually happens or not, I don't know!

I quite understand.
ME2.4, 2.6, 3.0 and 3.1 are VAG's actual major overall package suites names, (a bit like Windows 7, 10, 11 etc). It would have been better if they just displayed that on the screen rather than to complicate things with 0792, 0795, 0333 and 0561 and so on. People naturally expect this "number" to increment as updates are added, just like you said.

They should get rid of it IMHO. It just causes confusion - just look at the hundreds of posts in this forum and others !

The dealer obviously knows exactly what software version of each module you have by simple accessing the servers at VAG with your chassis number. Everything is stored there and any updates can only come from there, either by the dealers secure internet access or OTA.
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

Surely if any vehicle is ready for the newest software then they should just be updated instead of random pointless little updates . They are aware of a large amount of issues hence 3.1 in the first place ! Can’t be that hard to actually provide updates that are needed just like say iPhone iOS updates
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

IanEV wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:41 pm 99C34002-73B1-45FF-90CC-88CD6992F025.jpeg11C445C7-D9E4-4439-82F5-44DF517B541A.jpegI’ve had the update tonight as well. It hasn’t updated the version numbers on the system information page.
I've just had this tonight and my car was supplied as ME3.1
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

ChangoMutney wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:33 pm
I believe the update also included a prerequisite for the infamous "Plug & Charge" feature. But again I would have thought ME3.1 would have already had that !
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

tiger tony wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:06 am
I believe the update also included a prerequisite for the infamous "Plug & Charge" feature. But again I would have thought ME3.1 would have already had that !
Interesting. I just tried it and instead of getting the usual server error (in the My SKoda app), it say to register with the powerpass app (which I have already installed and registered). It seems that the latest update did remove an error hurdle. Still not needed a public charge yet so no idea if this is as far as I get for now.
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

ChangoMutney wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:02 am
Interesting. I just tried it and instead of getting the usual server error (in the My SKoda app), it say to register with the powerpass app (which I have already installed and registered). It seems that the latest update did remove an error hurdle. Still not needed a public charge yet so no idea if this is as far as I get for now.
I have nothing on my App regarding this, but like I said its only a prerequisite so maybe more to come ?
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

tiger tony wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:42 am
ChangoMutney wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:02 am

I have nothing on my App regarding this, but like I said its only a prerequisite so maybe more to come ?
The option for 'Plug & Charge' is at the bottom of the Battery Charging page, if you have it.

Screenshot_20221202_105355_MyKODA.jpg

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post