1st MOT When 4 yrs old / Bi Annual Tests

The place to discuss everything else..
metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

What do people think of this?.

To me it will not save any money, it could even cost people more, for example - People not replacing brake pads will also need new discs come MOT time.

It will almost certainly make the roads less safe and I question the governments reasoning of saving the motorist money which IMO is highly debatable. If they cared about the motorists wallet, they'd reduce fuel / elec tax but they won't because they don't care.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/3578 ... d-annually
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

I agree with you and am also very sceptical that this is just another hollow gesture - giving the government more ‘sound bites’ they can throw at us, and boast “we did this” and “we did that”.

Imagine dentists saying that we only need to visit them once a year, or once every 2 years. Problems they find will be more severe, more expensive (and more painful!) than if they were able to spot them and fix them at an earlier stage. The same can be said for these proposed MOT changes.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

I actually think it’s a good idea. MOT insurance are government legislated tax.

I don’t see on UK roads broken down cars causing majority of the traffic accidents or incidents. It is actually human errors. The concern over vehicle worthiness and safety is not something that is evidence based but stems from irrational fear and risk assessment.

A 4yr old car out of factory is not going to present significantly increased risk from a 3yr old out of factory car. Cars have service regime which can identify anything mechanically need to be maintained. New cars have a whole suit of sensors that tells you tyre wear/break wear/engine wear etc etc.

The real thing about MOT these days is to catch emission issues really under normal circumstances.

If we are talking about EVs then there are even less stuff to be MOTed or considered to go wrong. So it is baffling that such things need such regular checks other than for the purpose of bureaucracy and money making.
metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

I get your take on the government tax but I can't agree in this case.

The way Electric cars through tyres i'd say they should be tested from year 1 personally. I'd much rather drive on roads that have cars that have been checked within the last year, even if relatively new.
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

metalmadhammer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:27 pm I get your take on the government tax but I can't agree in this case.

The way Electric cars through tyres i'd say they should be tested from year 1 personally. I'd much rather drive on roads that have cars that have been checked within the last year, even if relatively new.

Mine became Illegal after maybe 14 months. I wouldn’t have spotted it myself - I just decided to pop in to the tyre centre we have to use when passing, and they pointed this out to me 😱
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

3 vs 4 years from new we could argue either way. Generally new cars arent going to be dangerously broken, and most will see the dealer at some point during that time for at the very least a service. 4 years is very likely completely fine.

The Bi-annual testing however, i think is a poor idea, especially for older cars. Once cars drop out of dealer servicing, many are run on a shoestring and barely see the inside of a garage. Once your out beyond 10 years old, major parts can go from perfectly serviceable to completely knackered inside a year.

I like to think i look after my cars, i service them myself etc. However theres been a number of times its failed its MOT on something i simply hadnt noticed. Most recently the range rover had a rusted out washer on its lower shock mounting, which resulted in it being held on by little more than fresh air.

Its 30quid a year for someone to stick the car up on a ramp and have a good look over it. Seems money well spent to me?
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite