Charging in france

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
james_scott22

Post by james_scott22 »

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know any good apps/sites for attempting to plan charges if travelling in France?
Enyaq 60 suite arctic silver

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

I’m usually only in France for half an hour, before reaching Belgium and continuing East!

But we are planning on heading to the South this summer - first time in the Enyaq.

Personally, I’m planning to rely on Ionity all the way there and back. There appear to be plenty along the route and as I extended my Skoda PowerPass subscription by another year (for £120), I understand that will save quite a bit off the Ionity standard rate. It certainly did last summer when we headed to Poland, and does all around the UK

There were two or three active forum members based in France, so hopefully you’ll get (or we’ll both get!) some feedback from those with local knowledge.

02E0DADA-E175-448A-B488-95463F5E7C09.jpeg

iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Powerstar

Post by Powerstar »

By all accounts the ChargeMap app and card are useful to have around mainland Europe. I have the card but not yet used as a backup to the PowerPass card.

https://chargemap.com/
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

I mainly used ChargeMap for charging last summer, in France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Good for nearly everything.
Being new, and unsure, for good measure I also got Shell ReCharge, KiWhiPass (a prepay which I'm told works everything in France) and Izivia EDF), but didn't really need them.
I got PowerPass in December for the Ionity rates. With that and ChargeMap as a backup, you'll be fine.

For route planning, nothing beats ABRP, although for navigation I use the built in or Google maps over android auto.
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
james_scott22

Post by james_scott22 »

Thanks Harry. What is ABRP?
HarryHuk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:22 pm I mainly used ChargeMap for charging last summer, in France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Good for nearly everything.
Being new, and unsure, for good measure I also got Shell ReCharge, KiWhiPass (a prepay which I'm told works everything in France) and Izivia EDF), but didn't really need them.
I got PowerPass in December for the Ionity rates. With that and ChargeMap as a backup, you'll be fine.

For route planning, nothing beats ABRP, although for navigation I use the built in or Google maps over android auto.
Enyaq 60 suite arctic silver
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

It’s an app called “A Better Route Planner”. A lot of people swear by it.

I also use ChargeMap abroad but only for locating chargers along the route and using it to set the sat nav destination to the next charger. I found their actual charging rates to be quite high though (you can get a ChargeMap RFID card to use at compatible charge stations).
Last edited by Goaty on Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

james_scott22 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:48 pm Thanks Harry. What is ABRP?
A Better Route Planner

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

Goaty wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:59 pm It’s an app called “A Better Route Planner”. A lot of people swear by it.

I also use ChargeMap abroad but only for locating chargers along the route and using it to set the sat nav destination to the next charger. I found their actual charging rates to be quite high though (you can get a ChargeMap RFID card to use at compatible charge stations).
Yeah, the ChargeMap subscription is just a one off fee for the card I think, so you don't get cheap rates.
Now I have PowerPass Charge Faster, ChargeMap is my backup.
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
alexvs

Post by alexvs »

I'm off to the north of France in August so would it be worthwhile signing up to PowerPass for a month for just that week long trip? Is there a minimum term on the subscription or can I simply sign up for a month on Charge Faster and then stop it? Can't see T's & C's on the website.
Enyaq IV80 Sportline - ordered 14/10/2021
Racing Blue, Climate Pack Plus, Parking Pack Plus, Family Pack, Assisted Drive Pack
Collected 18th Jan 23 :mrgreen:
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

alexvs wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:32 am I'm off to the north of France in August so would it be worthwhile signing up to PowerPass for a month for just that week long trip? Is there a minimum term on the subscription or can I simply sign up for a month on Charge Faster and then stop it? Can't see T's & C's on the website.
I don't know if you can sign up for a month and then cancel, I would suspect not. I did a spreadsheet to work out the break even point of charge faster based on the full ionity rate, and the charge faster rate, and my kWh/100km, over 12 months.
Heat pump, 19" wheels,

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post