Mis-selling of enyaq and ev in general

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

I just found some free chargers in my local leisure centre which between my wife and me we frequent 2hrs a day which tops up daily drive mileage easily.

So I am chuffed that I gone EV as I can’t find free diesel anywhere in this country failing siphon off other cars which is a crime.

Fast charging…do I really need 125kw charging speed, not really but it’s handy to know it is capable. I have had public charger doing close to 70kw at around 50% SoC that was plenty to get the car charged up while we stayed for a bit to eat.

Overall I don’t feel like there is a mis-sold issue but happy to sign up if I am entitled to some money.

The only thing I feel I am conned out of is the ridiculous hike EV has seen over the last 2.5years

Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

I am still awaiting my charger install and switching to lower rate but a granny charger is keeping us mobile. Even on the current 32p/kw rate that is about half the cost per mile of my previous diesel Karoq.
On long trips where charging is needed away from home that will still be slightly cheaper. Biggest disappointment to me is the need to mostly keep between 20% and 80% so can only use 60% of the full range without damaging battery. I looked at theTesla but don’t like the interior or the narrow drivers seat which is uncomfortable. However the Tesla battery seems to give a longer true range and you are encouraged to charge to 100% and use it all as no detriment to life.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

I don't feel mis-sold. I knew like any car, quoted mpg/range whatever is always achieved under ideal, unrealistic conditions, and knew realistically I would normally get 80% of the range they quote. I also knew that range reduces in winter, so it wasn't a surprise.

Really happy with the car. It's a keeper
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

Ken3966 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:37 pm I am still awaiting my charger install and switching to lower rate but a granny charger is keeping us mobile. Even on the current 32p/kw rate that is about half the cost per mile of my previous diesel Karoq.
On long trips where charging is needed away from home that will still be slightly cheaper. Biggest disappointment to me is the need to mostly keep between 20% and 80% so can only use 60% of the full range without damaging battery. I looked at theTesla but don’t like the interior or the narrow drivers seat which is uncomfortable. However the Tesla battery seems to give a longer true range and you are encouraged to charge to 100% and use it all as no detriment to life.
For daily use it is advised to keep to 20-80%. But for the odd long journeys that you know you will use up significant capacity, it isn’t gonna hurt to charge to 100% or let the car deplete to 10% for instance. Lots of rapid charger cycles will hurt the battery more tbh due to the massive current charging the battery will damage the cell chemistry and structure more so.

Tesla have a few different batteries. I think the Y batteries are blade battery’s which is lithium phosphate chemistry so they are much much less prone to deg thus they are able to charge to 100% all the time and hold charge over time much better.

Their lithium cobalt battery in model 3 and x are similar to Enyaq. Matter of fact majority of EV batteries are still lithium cobalt and behave the same way.
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

foot tapper wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:54 pm I felt cheated on 2 or possibly 3 important, related aspects.

3) related to 2) above. £1005 for the optional (but should be standard) heat pump. What quantifiable good is it actually doing if we only see 220-230 miles of range in winter months (ambient of 3-10C).

Put those three together and we feel over-sold.

Otherwise, the Enyaq has been an excellent car for us.
The way I look at the 'value' of the heat pump is not financial but range. If you want the cheapest option, you go for the iv60 but the compromise is range. If you prioritise range over cost then you go for the iv80. You can calculate the benefit of the larger battery as £/mile. The cost of the heatpump generates a similar ratio of £/mile. With the battery, you always have the benefit, but with the heat pump you only benefit under certain temperature conditions. After I did my own calculations I reasoned that the heat pump was fairly priced for the increase in range it provides under the conditions it provides them in. It might only provide a 20-30 miles increase on a full tank, but for £1000 that's the same cost/benefit ratio as the battery upgrade.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

When I ordered, the 80 was over the threshold for the £2500 govt grant. As the heat pump was an option, it didn't count toward the threshold. I think I worked out that in effect the 80 worked out nearly 5k dearer than a 60 with the same options, and long trips were only a couple of times a year for me
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

The issue that I see is that the government want us all to be electric after 2030 but have stopped grants effectively and EV cars cost a lot to buy still.
And then when you get one and have to charge away from home without a monthly fee for a cheaper rate it costs more per mile than an ICE vehicle!
That is without any significant fuel tax yet. As conventional cars reduce on road the government will need to find another source of income to replace the lost revenue.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

Ken3966 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:17 am The issue that I see is that the government want us all to be electric after 2030 but have stopped grants effectively and EV cars cost a lot to buy still.
And then when you get one and have to charge away from home without a monthly fee for a cheaper rate it costs more per mile than an ICE vehicle!
That is without any significant fuel tax yet. As conventional cars reduce on road the government will need to find another source of income to replace the lost revenue.
The second -hand market will develop naturally when private and company car leases come to an end. It just hasn't got going yet because its all a bit new.

ICE cars will be on the road well after 2030, you just won't be able to buy a new one. The grant was tiny and often they are only put in place long enough to kick-start things. Once it's going, it's going. Look at Solar in the UK, I was told the sales are now 3x higher than 18 months ago and the government scrapped the incentives in 2019. The prices have dropped and the incentives are no longer needed. The grant being scrapped hasn't reduced the demand for electric cars.

Most people will charge from home on cheap rate electricity, most of the time. Some people who don't have access to off-road parking will struggle with this, and provision will need to be made for them. Perhaps they get a preferential rate for public charging? People who have solar can charge for free and therefore taxing home charging will be difficult to implement if not impossible. I agree it's difficult to see all the answers right now but I have no doubt they will appear because we live in a supply-and-demand economy. If there's money to be made, solutions will be found by industry even if the government fails to help.

Fossil fuel tax disappearing will have to be replaced by being charged for the number of miles you drive. Perhaps they'll be a contract like mobile phones, where you pay for a certain amount and if you go over, there's an additional fee. Who knows, but somehow they will need to get a regular income from road users that's not from taxing fossil fuel. meanwhile, Fossil fuel use will slowly decline probably due to increased taxation and lack of demand. Garages will in some locations convert to charging stations or just close down.
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
orrery

Post by orrery »

ChangoMutney wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:34 pm ICE cars will be on the road well after 2030, you just won't be able to buy a new one.

My understanding was that ICE cars in the form of plug-in hybrids will still be sold until 2035.

Whether you'll still be able to get petrol for them is another matter.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

orrery wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:22 pm
ChangoMutney wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:34 pm ICE cars will be on the road well after 2030, you just won't be able to buy a new one.

My understanding was that ICE cars in the form of plug-in hybrids will still be sold until 2035.

Whether you'll still be able to get petrol for them is another matter.
Yes you're right, I meant full ICE but it will be interesting to see if manufacturers continue to bother making hybrids that require support in terms of warranty and maintenance, spare parts, etc when it clearly will be a dead-end product. Keeping an ICE production line going instead of converting it to fully electric might not be the best commercial option. We'll see I guess.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post