Steering wheel locking bar - recommendations?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Muel

Post by Muel »

Hi all,

Unfortunately there has been a spate of SUV thefts in our local area recently, albeit so far only ICE models have been taken. A mix of more luxury end models (BMW and Merc) and more ordinary ones (KIA Sportage etc). Mostly the modus operandi appears to be keyless cloning, as the cars have been taken quietly in the middle of the night without any home break-ins or alarms tripped etc. Usually the first anyone knows of it is they look outside and the car has just vanished from their driveway!

I understand the Enyaq's VW Kessy keys are hardened against keyless cloning, making it much less likely to succeed, and when not in use we keep ours in a Faraday box - which is probably entirely redundant, but just for extra piece of mind!

Despite that, we're thinking of additional ways we could deter the wrong'uns from targeting our lovely Enyaq...

Does anyone use/recommend a steering lock bar that definitely fits the 3 spoke Sport steering wheel (i.e. the one in the Drive Sport pack / Sportline / Coupe etc)? Particularly one that is quick to install and remove, as we can't face yet more faff when trying to leave the house in a rush every morning :?

I know it probably wouldn't add much if the Enyaq is already pretty secure as it is... and maybe EVs (beyond the ultra luxury models) aren't so desirable for thieves?

TIA.
80 Suite / Graphite Grey / Basic packs: Comfort, Convenience, Transport, Light & View, Assisted Drive, Climate, Family; HUD. Ordered Feb ‘22 with 12 month delivery estimate, build week 48 to week 3, delivered mid Feb ‘23

RichR

Post by RichR »

Given that you can buy a battery angle grinder from Lidl for £20, things like steering wheel bars will only deter the casual thief - the determined one will just cut it off in seconds.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

And if you do get it back later the angle grinding will have sent red hot spark all over the dash etc melting into it and damaging it beyond repair.
If you don’t have the fully enclosed wheel trims fitted, a better deterrent would be a substantial u clamp on the front wheel drivers side so it is obviously impossible to drive away without significant and noisy metal cutting.
As long as the car is locked and Kessy disabled by touching the front door sensor it should not be possible to enter the car using a remote amplifier?
The key anyway goes to sleep and stops transmitting if left stationary and not kept in a pocket after a certain time.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
rpjwhite

Post by rpjwhite »

The only thing that ever got well rated is the Disklock. Used to have one on my golf GTI. but they are very heavy.

Keys in a biscuit tin not by the front door.
snalbansed

Post by snalbansed »

Ken3966 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:44 am As long as the car is locked and Kessy disabled by touching the front door sensor...
I've not seen this mentioned before - can you elaborate?
Sportline, Artic Silver, parking+, infotainment+, convenience+, family basic, assisted drive+, climate+, towbar
Ordered 20th December 2021, mine 21st March 2023
Charger: Zappi
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

I remember on my kodiaq if you locked by fob then car it disabled it or might have been the other way round however I just use a farraday pouch and not on display . Also try leaving car open with key away and try to turn the steering wheel . It will just activate mechanical lock
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

I just tried my pouch in the car and still works . I’ve said this time and time again if someone wants the car they will monitor you and see if keys go silent and if so try see where they are (the easiest way ) otherwise if it’s an order and desperate for your car they will check where you live , where you work and shop etc and just pick it up and take it . However keys hidden from scanning will usually be enough for them to go onto the next easy one . Enyaqs are not rare nor easily blended in or useful for crime

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post