Running costs

New to the Skoda Enyaq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Dad

Post by Dad »

Chilly .. what do you mean by this comment? “slightly increased household usage cost of now been on Intelligence”.

I’ve recently moved into Intelligent Octopus and it’s has made a big difference to the running costs. Basically you can fill the car up for £4.50p and get approx 240 miles during the warmer months so it’s about 2p per mile. In the depth of winter I only typically get 160 miles per full charge but that won’t bother me now I’m on IO! It definitely bothered me when I was paying 35p KWh!
IV60, quartz grey, suite trim, regulus smoke grey alloys, parking basic, climate basic, 100KW charging.

Octopus Referral code to receive £50 credit
Use this link https://share.octopus.energy/clean-dingo-514
Or referral code clean-dingo-514

CrowSysE243

Post by CrowSysE243 »

Dad wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:18 pm Chilly .. what do you mean by this comment? “slightly increased household usage cost of now been on Intelligence”.

I’ve recently moved into Intelligent Octopus and it’s has made a big difference to the running costs. Basically you can fill the car up for £4.50p and get approx 240 miles during the warmer months so it’s about 2p per mile. In the depth of winter I only typically get 160 miles per full charge but that won’t bother me now I’m on IO! It definitely bothered me when I was paying 35p KWh!
When on Intelligent Octopus, or any EV rate I have seen, the day time rate is higher than it would be with a standard rate so the cost of day time useage increases. Fortunately in my area the difference is only about 0.3p/kWh and I will be able to offset that cost by running some heavy consumers to night time. I cannot move electric cooking, but the average unit cost over 24 hours is only 82% of the standard rate so overall I expect to save. I thing that this is what us meant by the sligtly increased household usage cost.
iV80 Loft, 19"Regulus, Energy Blue, Maxx Pack, Travel Pack, Heat pump. Order Jul22. BuildWk17-23. UK WE23/6. Available 30/6/23. Collected 3/7/23 Untethered PodPoint. Third Rock mode 2 charger with Tough Leads modular extension lead and adapters.
Dad

Post by Dad »

Thanks. I did wonder if that’s what was being referred to but my IO peak rate is the same as the standard tariff I believe (30p). I think the concept of a higher peak rate if you had a lower night rate ended earlier this year. For clarity my IO tariff is 7.5p night rate and 30p day rate.
IV60, quartz grey, suite trim, regulus smoke grey alloys, parking basic, climate basic, 100KW charging.

RallimG

Post by RallimG »

I have recently moved to IO, the peak rate is 29.9p, previously it was 29.1p with British Gas... I worked out the base load of my house running for 6 hours at 7.5p per kWh covers the the 0.8p per kWh -difference and that's before shifting anything else to night time or charging the car!
Enyaq iV Sportline, Energy Blue, 125kW Charging, Family Pack, Climate+, Conv. +, Drive+, Infotainment+ & Assisted Drive +.
Ordered Jun 2021 - delivered Jan 2023.
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

Easiest way to work out is find out your long term mpg average for the kodiaq (probably 35mpg) and take your annual usage and see how much petrol you pay as an average

Then take the same mileage and work out what your electricity bill will be.

I also had a kodiaq but diesel mpg was 30mpg over 4yrs and we did average 8000 miles a year that equates to £1800/yr for todays fuel cost. now I have a 80iV and my current consumption is 3.9m/kWh for 5000miles and I am on tracker - so yearly leccy cost is £205/yr

So that’s a saving of £1600 a year on running cost.
Walter Eagle

Post by Walter Eagle »

chillyboy123 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:06 pm I would agree to ignore the standing charge.

If you was running an ICE car instead of an EV you would be paying the standing charge regardless.

A EV does not increase the standing charge so ignore it.
Ah, yes. Very good point. Excellent. Thank you.
You've just reduced my comparative running costs significantly!

One other thing I noticed after changing from ICE to EV was that our domestic electricity consumption went up.
Well, of course, you might say. That would be obvious.
But the cost difference wasn't such a clear thing in advance.
I'd never previously added the amount spent on road fuel on to my house electricity bill. Why would I?
But to make a reasonable comparison, I had to go back and do just that. And yes, the combined cost had reduced.

I have to say having an EV (plus solar panels, plus domestic batteries) just makes us so much more aware of whole-house energy usage, in whatever form it appears.
And I feel that can only be a good thing.
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

Dad wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:18 pm Chilly .. what do you mean by this comment? “slightly increased household usage cost of now been on Intelligence”.

Dad, I actually meant slightly increase household cost, not usage :roll:

I didn't want to go full data geek on you guys but to help explain here goes.

So this might not be the same for everyone but my daytime rate on Intelligence (29.5p) is higher than if I was on the standard variable rate (26.5p). So the cost of my house hold usage is slightly higher than it should be.

For my example of house hold usage - 3300 x 29.5p = £973.50 versus 3300 x 26.5p = £874.50 - This is an increase of £98

(When I last worked this out prior to the prices coming down in July the difference was higher.)

But I probably forgot to take into account my average daily off peak usage of 1.3 kw. That is obviously now at 7.5p (1.3 x 365 = 474.5 kw). So I need to take this into account too.

For my example - 474.5 x 26.5 = £125.74 versus 474.5 x £35.59 - That's a decrease of £90.15

Overall the household usage cost is higher on Intelligence for me by £8 a year.

So basically you maybe don't need to worry about this :D And you could make things even cheaper for yourself if you run the washer and dryer during off peak time.

--------

ricky10 I would be surprised if you average 3.9 miles/ kw over the whole year. The summer months achieve a far higher economy number that the colder months. But I know everyones usage is different.

I have logged all my charging & milage data since new. In 23 months I have average 2.96 miles / kw. (pre ME 3.0 winter usage took a major hit btw, was much better post software update)

After going down this major rabbit hole my real annual average car fuel costs are about 2.5p per mile. 98% of my charging is at home at 7.5p per kw
Last edited by chillyboy123 on Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enyaq iV60 - Race Blue with 20” Vega Wheels,
Assisted Drive Package +, Convenience Package +,
Parking Package Basic, Drive Package Basic,
Climate Package Basic, 120 kW charging,
Light and View Package Basic,

Upgraded to ME 3.0
Dad

Post by Dad »

Thanks for the explanation!

ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

chillyboy123 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:03 am
ricky10 I would be surprised if you average 3.9 miles/ kw over the whole year. The summer months achieve a far higher economy number that the colder months. But I know everyones usage is different.
My car arrived first week of Jan so it’s been 8 months and first 2-3months we’re pretty cold conditions. So I would expect it to be around that average.

In cold conditions the car was average 3.5m/kWh and now it is typically around 4.5.

But Jan next year I will have a better average as it would have been through the whole 12months then
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

ricky10 - ah I see.

Like I say I know everyone’s usage is different.

But you will been on a later software since day one, which will make a difference.

I know ME3.0 made a big difference to me over the original software which I was running for 14 months.

I have the best numbers this summer than previously,
and ME3.2 makes some improvements over mine.

Hence I can’t wait to get it.

Major software OTA is a dream 😫 and the garage won’t give me ME3.2.
Enyaq iV60 - Race Blue with 20” Vega Wheels,
Assisted Drive Package +, Convenience Package +,
Parking Package Basic, Drive Package Basic,
Climate Package Basic, 120 kW charging,
Light and View Package Basic,

Upgraded to ME 3.0

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post