Electric Drive is not working correctly

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
Deleted User 2162

Post by Deleted User 2162 »

Read through your post on the other forum and I swear this is describing my situation.

I have a complaint raised with ŠKODA Financial services already.

Interestingly I was given our car back as ŠKODA have told the dealer it’s safe to continue driving with the warning.

I gave the courtesy car back last Monday, got a call yesterday (Saturday) from ŠKODA Customer services saying they could see we still have the hire car (they approved one for us as the ŠKODA technician that came to our house telling us we would, and so did the call from the call centre later that evening confirming details..which was recorded.

I explained it all to them again and questioned as thr call is recorded if the electric warning drive covers multiple things, and I’ve been told to keep driving it with it in, what happens if something else also goes wrong, is this safe?

I’d rather have our car with the warning light than the hire car.

Apparently when the parts are in stock (I’m told 14 part numbers need ordering) then it will be booked in quickly, I’ll get an Enyaq courtesy car and it will be done within 5 days.

Makima

Post by Makima »

I still drive it with the error, I have to, and with the error I have done approx. 1500 km so far and it seems to me that there is no loss of range.
The only thing that really annoys me is the constant beeping when it starts up or shuts down
On Saturday I had a message about a new update but it lasted a few seconds on the screen and disappeared, I can't cause it anymore
I have 3.0 with a couple of small OTAs (I think 3)
At the service station, they shyly said that I could drive.
Does anyone have experience with this?
Makima

Post by Makima »

I still drive it with the error, I have to, and with the error I have done approx. 1500 km so far and it seems to me that there is no loss of range.
The only thing that really annoys me is the constant beeping when it starts up or shuts down
On Saturday I had a message about a new update but it lasted a few seconds on the screen and disappeared, I can't cause it anymore
I have 3.0 with a couple of small OTAs (I think 3)
At the service station, they shyly said that I could drive.
Does anyone have experience with this?
TheYak

Post by TheYak »

@makima.. i just found this thread after posting mine - basically the same problem (but i added on some other SW gripes).
Interesting that they say its "safe to drive"... i'd basically decided that for myself - although I am seeking clarification here as the service times to get this addressed are beyond ridiculous.
The next time i lease an EV i shall make sure that its via a manufacturer network that's near where i live - not 60+ minutes drive away.
Skoda could have mitigated this with more informative error messaging (even if only available remotely to the service agent).
Basically my Enyaq is a fairly decent piece of hardware (the car) with flaky and constantly changing software - and it's the software that calls the shots nowadays...
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

The error (at least on mine) is that one of the cells is undervoltage. The discrepancy is very small, 30mv, i would routinely see much larger errors on my old LEAF for instance. So the error itself is not really a concern. The car wont allow the cell to become too low (the battery guage will essentially follow the weakest cell). Think of it a bit like a 1 year old iphone battery only holding 80% of the charge it did when it was new. Except the car battery has 96 or 108 of those batteries in series. The single poor performing one drags the whole pack down, so your range might suffer a little.

The slightly larger concern is that the error is caused by some sort of manufacturing defect within the cell, causing higher than normal self discharge, which is why the cell needs replaced. But so long as Skoda/VAG/LG are happy that theres no greater risk from this manufacturing defect (eg thermal runaway, fire etc), then indeed it is safe to drive.

30mv on the LEAF is nothing and entirely normal in an older model, VAG in this case have set really tight tolerances in order to hunt out these faulty modules and get them replaced. In a way this is a good thing, they're being proactive and finding and fixing faulty cars rather than waiting until the cell gets bad enough that people are complaining about the reduced range.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
Deleted User 2162

Still no update on part availability, phoned dealer who said they would phone back with an update shortly but obviously never heard back.

However, since the app came back from being unavailable last week / over weekend the app no longer shows an issue in the health report, and today following an app update ‘that doesn’t update the software version in the car’ the warning light has gone from the car also!

What does this mean with the parts on order to replace cells!

IMG_1409.png

Deleted User 2162

Just thought I would provide the latest detail from ŠKODA on this. My repair is booked in for 13th December with the expectation that final parts will be available by then.

“ The outstanding parts that we are waiting for are listed below

1EA802132A Connection
N91283201 Bolt
1EA802131A Connection
WHT009215 Bolt
SDG00018M3 Paste
N91280901 Screw

The reason the warning disappears and reappears mainly after charging is because the last 20% of changing is used for cell balancing, this is why it mainly will occur after a full charge.
The fault code I do not have to hand as is saved on the in progress log. It was regarding a cell balancing issue with one of the modules.
Additionally after running the identification test it has identified that module 9 is the one at fault so will be the only one module (currently) to be replaced.
As far as I am aware Skoda are confident in this repair if done properly, according to workshop manual and manufacturer instruction.
In terms of water ingress - The high voltage battery is tested 3 separate times with dried compressed air over 20-30 minutes each time. First with the battery installed before removal to check it is okay before attempting any repair. Then it is tested again after the internal repair is completed whist it is still in a removed state. Then finally after it has been installed with all mounting/fixing bolts completely tightened to manufacturer toque settings. The reason we use air to check the tightness of any seals or bonding is because if a system is air tight it is most definitely water tight due to the size difference in the molecules that make up air and water respectively. ”
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

My car went in yesterday, sure enough they've confirmed it needs a battery module.

They've insisted on keeping hold of it, as its a "safety issue". Clearly mixed messaging going there on which is a little annoying on that front.

Zero info on when the parts will be available, just said that much like the user above, theres delays on the bolts and sealant etc.

Been provided with a loan car, and they're going to try and swap it for a hybrid next week. Just hope it doesnt drag on like some of the others on here.

They also said they had 7 cars in the queue in front of mine, so clearly some backlog to get thru.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
Deleted User 2312

Post by Deleted User 2312 »

My car (I am also deleted user 2162- don’t ask!) , was supposed to be on Wednesday for the battery replacement. Cancelled today as parts not available, dealer sounded as frustrated as we are - they are waiting for only small parts and fixings can’t proceed without them. Booking cancelled and their next available slot is 11/03/2024 - three months away which I am now booked in for.

Letter to supplying dealer and finance company have been sent formally rejecting the car as it started 5months into ownership, is now 7 months and won’t be looked at again until 10 months old - if parts are there and if it fixes it.

To add the dealer said they currently have a car on the ramp for the same issue, but some of the parts they have been sent are wrong after opening the bags (ie parts in bags are wrong to the part number). Meaning there ramp is disabled - can’t put battery back without and can’t move it elsewhere or work on another. These parts are all on back order. Dealer truly sounds fed up of working on or dealing with EVs.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

I'm sorta surprised your issues are with such a new car... Their official line is that these issues were manufacturing defects on cells used in 2021 cars. So sorta worrying that a 2023 car would also have these problems :/

They swapped the loan car for a Superb iV hybrid, which is alright, but certainly not a patch on the Enyaq. The DSG box is quite irritating, and even in full EV mode its still using the gearbox so you can feel it shifting. The worst part for me is my commute is 90miles, and the PHEV manages about 20 on electric, so its 70miles a day in petrol. At least its better than the previous loan car, but still quite a bit more expensive than the Enyaq!
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post