Charging rates

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
yebaws

Post by yebaws »

Well IMO the achieved charge rates are completely unacceptable and clearly mis-selling on Skodas part:

I have charged through multiple Rapidchargers all over the country in the last week and have never achieved more than 55Kw at any time during the charging process. Occasionally it may have been the charger partly to blame, but certainly not always,

I've had unshared chargers, batteries starting below 20%, ambient temperatures ITRO 16 degrees. Still waiting over an hour to get from 18% to 80%.

Fortunately for me, I won't be doing many long drives like this and mostly charge at home.

This is what Skoda have on their website:

https://chargingcalculator.skoda-auto.c ... roup=63078

and that is partly the basis on which I bought one of their cars. We all know to take these figures - like the range figures - with a reasonable pile of salt, but 55Kw is nowhere even close to claimed speeds, and you pay a premium for "Rapid charger" electricity. My car is in for its first 2 year "Inspection" next week, so I'll talk to the dealers first before taking it up with Skoda.

Interested to hear if anybody has achieved any faster rates than I have and under what conditions?

ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

That’s interesting, the website don’t show any Enyaqs having over 300mile range. lol 😂
MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

yebaws wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:21 pm Interested to hear if anybody has achieved any faster rates than I have and under what conditions?
A month or so ago I got 75kw from a 75kw charger.
Started at 10% or less, temp 5-10 degrees. Only charged for 5 minutes to get me home, so no chance for the charging rate to tail off.

Prior to charging I had been driving at 45-50 mph, trying to get home without a stop, so batteries not particularly warm.
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
yebaws

Post by yebaws »

Prior to charging I had been driving at 45-50 mph, trying to get home without a stop, so batteries not particularly warm.
:lol: I was slipstreaming lorries on the M6 the other day to get to the next charging station. Surprisingly effective!

Do you remember what company the charger was from?
yebaws

Post by yebaws »

Apparently the 2021 build (mine) by default had a max charge rate of 50Kw, with the option to pay £450 to upgrade to 175Kw. Not sure if this is hardware or money for nothing software upgrade? I didn't buy new so I guess that the original buyer didn't pay for the upgrade. Strange to shell out nearly 40K (price new) and not spend an extra £450 to save yourself from many hours sitting in your car at a charging station. Also strange that I have actually achieved slightly more than the 50Kw (55Kw) if my car is only capable of 50Kw. And how do I know for sure that they didn't pay for the 175Kw anyway?
Powerstar

Post by Powerstar »

You can download your cars digital certificate from the app and this will give you the full detail of the spec including the charging speed that has been enabled. It is a software upgrade by the way to change the speed.
Pea

Post by Pea »

Missing preconditioning on 60, 80, 80x is the problem.
Only 85 and 85x have this solved now.

Anyway in summer (25°C) and starting with battery under 20% you can get initial charging speeds about 130kWh on fast DC charger.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

yebaws wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm Apparently the 2021 build (mine) by default had a max charge rate of 50Kw, with the option to pay £450 to upgrade to 175Kw. Not sure if this is hardware or money for nothing software upgrade? I didn't buy new so I guess that the original buyer didn't pay for the upgrade. Strange to shell out nearly 40K (price new) and not spend an extra £450 to save yourself from many hours sitting in your car at a charging station. Also strange that I have actually achieved slightly more than the 50Kw (55Kw) if my car is only capable of 50Kw. And how do I know for sure that they didn't pay for the 175Kw anyway?
Its just a software lockout, annoyingly enough.

Mines only a 60, but i did buy it new, and specifically chose not to pay the extra £450 for the charging upgrade, because its just not something i felt was useful. I typically visit rapid chargers only 4-5 times a year, usually on vacation. Even with 50kw charging the car is almost always been ready before we are. The joys of three children, it takes half an hour just to get them all thru the toilet :lol: So why waste £450 on it? Especially when faced with a huge option list of £450 this and £450 that, you have to draw a line somewhere and prioritise.

You can buy the option later if you want, a dealership can apply the software update.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

yebaws wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:15 pm
... Do you remember what company the charger was from?
Yes, it was evyve
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
yebaws

Post by yebaws »

Aragorn wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:42 am
Its just a software lockout, annoyingly enough.
Umm, I've already hacked the lane assist to permanently disable it. I wonder if anybody has hacked that...

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post