Need Help Buying my first ever Home EV Charger

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
RichR

Post by RichR »

It's about the same price to go for an untethered PodPoint and buy a cable as long as you need separately and a holster. Plenty of options :)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

Chris__M

Post by Chris__M »

I got half way through ordering a PodPoint, when I had some questions that made me pause. So it's quite good I've seen this.

I was planning on a tethered PodPoint, for convenience, but the bit I read about it having to be completely unwound has given me pause. As the cable is 7.5m, and my car's charging port will be less than 2m from the PodPoint, that's going to be lot of loose cable. Is this really the case (needing to completely unwind for charging)?

If it is, then I think I'd be better off with an untethered one, and the shortest cable I can find. Yes, I can use the car's own cable, but I am tempted to keep that stowed for when I need it on the road, and simply hang the short cable on a hook (out of sight behind my gate).
Enyaq iV 60. Energy Blue with EcoSuite, 19" wheels, 100kW charging.
Comfort Basic, Assisted Drive Plus (Drive Sport), HUD, Parking Basic, Transport, Panoramic Sunroof.
RichR

Post by RichR »

That's what I do - keep one long cable in the car should I need to charge out and about where there's a socketed charger, and have one that's just the right length at home. I've got a holster fixed to the wall next to where the charge port on the car is when parked, so I only need to open the flap and move the plug about 50cm to plug it in.

You don't really need to fully unwind it at 7.5m, the amount of heating will negligible. However it's a waste if you're unlikely to need a cable that long, better off buying a shorter (say 3m) one to use at home. You can get holsters to neatly hold the plug on a wall for about £10 - for example: www.amazon.co.uk/MAX-GREEN-Holder-Holst ... B08JLX2FBR
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Chris__M

Post by Chris__M »

I had some other outstanding questions to PodPoint, so I added the one about fully unwinding the cable... their reply was:

"We would recommend when the charge point is in use that you fully extend any cable as this can pose a fire risk with any electrical cable."

I realise that both them and RichR are probably right on this, just covering different levels of risk. But I think I'll go untethered, after all.
Enyaq iV 60. Energy Blue with EcoSuite, 19" wheels, 100kW charging.
Comfort Basic, Assisted Drive Plus (Drive Sport), HUD, Parking Basic, Transport, Panoramic Sunroof.
ENYAQ60_SE

Post by ENYAQ60_SE »

High BigFrank66,

Up to my knowledge, if you want to have higher power to charge your car, you need to have a 3-phase power at home which is exceedingly rare and may be costly to have. And your charging unit should allow doing that. Most of the units I have been checking is for up to 7.2kw up to eight hundred pounds, you may need to pay thirteen hundred pounds or more to have the rapid charging but in the long-term, it may payback.

I went thru the feasibility of this myself so many times and finally, I decided it is not necessary as it is extremely easy to access rapid chargers in public car parks close to where I live. Plus, I am renting now, so it is not an attractive option for me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skoda ENYAQ 60 Suite
Quartz Grey Metallic
19" Regulus Anthracite metallic alloy wheels
100 kW - DC battery charging
Miket

Post by Miket »

I have ordered a hypervolt home 2, and as well as the government grant I’m getting a extra £50 as the wife has a mobility blue badge, I believe this extends to others like key workers armed forces and more too
Benyaq

Post by Benyaq »

Was looking at an Ohme but the company seem to constantly wanting more information.
A colleague at work has fitted a charging point with an RCD and socket for his Tesla. His forum tell him that the car has it's own safety interlocks.
Does the Enyaq have anything similar ?
martinq

Post by martinq »

Has anyone had one for the new "Ohme Home Pro" chargers installed. Looking for options pre March 2022 delivery date! Thanks
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Benyaq wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:27 pm Was looking at an Ohme but the company seem to constantly wanting more information.
A colleague at work has fitted a charging point with an RCD and socket for his Tesla. His forum tell him that the car has it's own safety interlocks.
Does the Enyaq have anything similar ?
The car will have in built protection by your charge point is the first line of defence with any faults, if your colleague is charging from a standard 13A socket that's gonna take a while.

Your charge point needs to be fed via a type "A or B" RCD so as not to be spoofed by any potential DC leakage that would stop a standard type "AC" unit from tripping.

The charge point will then have built in DC leakage protection along with PEN isolation facilities.
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
Benyaq

Post by Benyaq »

Thanks for your reply, my colleague has wired from his supply using a 32A RCD to a commando socket mounted in an enclosure. His Tesla came with a UMC adapter which allows him to charge at 7.4kW.
I was looking for something similar with my Enyaq but availability and costs are off putting, so I've bought a Rolec charge Type 2 point with an enclosed RCD from Ebay and will connect via 6mm armoured cable.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post