Having all electrics turned off

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
sam_vasu

Post by sam_vasu »

Apologies if this is a silly/obvious question!

We’re about to do our first “long drive” today (Kent to Yorkshire, with a recharging stop at Peterborough).

At Peterborough, we’ll have to have a “car picnic” because of the dog, but when we’re all sitting in the car I want to have all the electrics off during the charging (so as to minimise the charge time as much as possible. How do we have the car unlocked but with all electrics off (the equivalent to unlocking a car but not putting the key in the ignition at all)? So far whenever I sit in the car stationary I seem to have the screen, AC etc. all turned on automatically. Or, will it much such a negligible difference to the recharge time that it’s a question not worth asking?

On a sidenote, can anyone recommend a good fast charger in the Huddersfield area for our trip home?

Thanks!

DazF05

Post by DazF05 »

I think this is a great question (don’t think it will have much impact on charging though TBH)

But I was wondering exactly the same about drive in Cinemas

I would really like to turn everything off if I’m at a drive in or it will be so distracting

Thanks
Enyaq IV80 Loft Quartz grey HeatPump 125kw charging convenience pack climate pack and electric tow bar.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Hi - I don’t think having the car ‘on’ will impact the charging rate by any tangible amount, unless you have the heating up full during the whole time. Even then, the draw of the heater is relatively small in comparison to what the electric drive motor draws, so I imagine a heater at full blast might only affect the charging time by a handful of minutes. I haven’t tested this myself yet.

I’m not sure if there is a total shutdown which can be activated whilst the car is occupied - other than pressing the on/off button on the right hand side of the steering column. The car will shut down as much as it needs to, whilst charging unoccupied.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Longhorns

Post by Longhorns »

I was going to ask the question. When I got to the train station last night, I couldn't switch the car off. I pressed the engine off button. Manually switched off the lights and held the center consul button until the screen went off. But the car was still switched on. Someone somewhere must have an answer to just "switch the car off".
Artic silver 60, 100kw charging, heatpump and a few other goodies.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I don't think you can - if the doors are unlocked then it's in what used to be called 'position 1 electrics'. If you press the brake or the start/stop button you put it into Ready mode, where the high voltage battery is online and the car can be driven. You can take it out of Ready mode, but you'll still have the basics powered. Turning off the fans, lights and infotainment might be as good as you can do.

However - these are all run off the 12V battery and relatively low consumption. They have no bearing on the main traction battery.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Westy

Post by Westy »

Turn the AC off, nothing else will be using much power.

If you take foot off the brake then the car will turn off completely after about 5/10 minutes anyway. But really, not an issue as the rest of electrics will only draw a few hundred watts.
Enyaq 80 Loft
Quartz Grey
Climate Pack, Assisted Drive, 125Kw

Replacing a Passat GTE Estate
sam_vasu

Post by sam_vasu »

Thanks everyone - it was an easy trip. The IONITY charger at Peterborough did what it needed to do whilst we ate, went to the loo etc.

Main issue now will be getting home! Huddersfield doesn’t seem to be that well equipped with fast charging points 😬
RichR

Post by RichR »

You could aim to stop sooner and do short charges at slower charge points. Remember you don't have to charge to 80% (or more) each time, so hopping between 50kW (or even slower) chargers at supermarkets putting in 50 miles of charge is a valid way of getting across areas where there aren't any faster rapid chargers. Use Zap-Map, ABRP, WattsUP etc to see what's on the way.

Remember that there are loads of rapid chargers at supermarkets, pubs, leisure centres and carparks just off the motorway that are often not busy. It just means making the effort to leave the motorway for a short detour rather than hoping the next services doesn't have a queue.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
sam_vasu

Post by sam_vasu »

RichR wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:51 am You could aim to stop sooner and do short charges at slower charge points. Remember you don't have to charge to 80% (or more) each time, so hopping between 50kW (or even slower) chargers at supermarkets putting in 50 miles of charge is a valid way of getting across areas where there aren't any faster rapid chargers. Use Zap-Map, ABRP, WattsUP etc to see what's on the way.

Remember that there are loads of rapid chargers at supermarkets, pubs, leisure centres and carparks just off the motorway that are often not busy. It just means making the effort to leave the motorway for a short detour rather than hoping the next services doesn't have a queue.
Thanks! Just trying to avoid the situation of my wife going “we should’ve brought my bloody car - I just want to get home!”
Westy

Post by Westy »

Sam

The trick Ive found with mrs Westy is finding charging points with a Waitrose food on the forecourt (or M&S at the very least) - that way the car charges whilst Mrs Westy is bankrupting me on yellow label specials.

Mind you she somehow managed to spend 15 minutes in Budgens (West Meon Hut in Hampshire) the other day - no idea what there was to buy in there.
Enyaq 80 Loft
Quartz Grey
Climate Pack, Assisted Drive, 125Kw

Replacing a Passat GTE Estate

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post