best 3 pin portable car charger

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
foot tapper

Post by foot tapper »

I don't know if it's the best but we have used one of these regularly when visiting family who don't have a type 2 charger at their homes.

It is robustly built and has worked perfectly each time:

Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 09.06.28.png

Best regards, FT

IanEV

Post by IanEV »

orrery wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:18 pm
RichR wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:15 pm Whether the plug gets hot is entirely down to the socket it’s plugged into, not the charger or the house supply.

It isn't 'entirely'. It is contributed to by the heat generated by the fuse in the plug, which starts to get quite hot at 10 amps. The fuse contacts are another point of failure. It is usually, but not always, the L lead that fails.

If you have an extension lead, then you also have the quality of the cable - don't ever buy a 10 amp extension, and never used it coiled up. I'd recommend https://toughleads.co.uk/ as they have some experience, particularly in accommodating the larger 13 amp plugs on some EVSEs in the waterproof socket.

Always plug and unplug any extension and EVSE frequently to keep the contact surfaces clean, and check the temperature with your hand during the first few minutes. If the 13 amp pins become tarnished, the clean them with fine emery paper, or (if all else fails) score them with the end of a screwdriver. Make sure any screw contacts in plugs and sockets are kept properly tightened. If you are careful then charging with an EVSE and extension lead can be perfectly safe and successful.

I have the 3rd Rock lead too - very good.
Thanks orrery there is some good information on the Tough Leads website - their advice to use a flexible cable is spot on as an example. Any professional power tool, from a tool hire company as an example, always comes with flexible cable. The cable is designed to take the extra harsh environment that it will be used in.

The website also reminded me that I'll need to take an adapter to use with my Campervan in Europe in the Summer - something I'd forgotten. :)
Ordered August 2021, collected 28/4
iV60 Loft, v3.0 software,
Velvet red, pano roof,
basic parking and convenience pack
100kw upgraded free of charge
Podpoint home charger
Dad

Post by Dad »

The VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda official granny charger all carry the same part number irrespective of the model. So you could keep an eye out on EBay for a bargain. We bought a brand new VW one from someone who ended up with two for his ID.3 … for £135. Ideal as it’s unlikely to get used very much if at all.
IV60, quartz grey, suite trim, regulus smoke grey alloys, parking basic, climate basic, 100KW charging.

Octopus Referral code to receive £50 credit
Use this link https://share.octopus.energy/clean-dingo-514
Or referral code clean-dingo-514
orrery

Post by orrery »

A real benefit is to buy one with selectable current - that can be dialled back to 6 or 8 amps*, which places less stress on the 13 amp socket or extension lead. It may be, of course, that your EV can charge on a reduced current setting, but I would assume that the EVSE won't be sold as part of the car if you change, and your next car might not have that setting.

* although a reduced current is likely to be less efficient, but I'd rather have less efficiency than an overheat incident.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

I’ve just received an order from Tough Leads - extension cable to use with Enyaq when it arrives and EU socket conversion cable for use in France. All excellent quality
Ordered August 2021, collected 28/4
iV60 Loft, v3.0 software,
Velvet red, pano roof,
basic parking and convenience pack
100kw upgraded free of charge
Podpoint home charger
John Arnold

Post by John Arnold »

Was looking for a 13amp to type 2. Found mine at EV-EXTRAS for £155. Free postage 7 metre cable. Have tried it and all fine. Hope this helps anyone.
videojedi

Post by videojedi »

Just bought this for a trip to France in the summer. Will convert the 13amp plug to a Shucko.

Ordered from third rock energy

https://thirdrockenergy.co.uk/products/ ... _wQAvD_BwE

Wanted one with a power meter and switchable charge current.

373113AF-D97B-4BBC-88C7-03B33AFA04D8.jpeg

Enyaq iv80 Sportline Arctic Silver 125kW Charging (Upgrade), Assisted Drive Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Parking Plus, Sunroof. ME3(update)
Electroverse app code: https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=coral-squid-130

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post