getting 220 miles to show on the clock at 100% charge?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

Hi Kodedjay,
333 miles sounds so good doesn’t it? The 415 miles showing on my Enyaq 80’s GOM at handover was barely credible! Both unfortunately were fairy stories… It is best to consider the 333 mile range as the 21st century equivalent of the winner of The Mobil Economy Run. Who would want to drive like a competitor in the Mobil Run on a daily basis?

Driving cautiously at around 55-60 mph with sparing use of ancillary equipment we achieve a 100% figure of 260 indicated miles on the GOM. Recent experience indicates that the final twenty or so miles are crawlingly slow to get into the battery pack so the realistic range is something either side of 240 miles- the precise something being dependent (as has been repeatedly pointed out) on many factors.

Personally I am supportive of the idea that mileage claims in advertising should be supported by real world experience and not promoted upon unrealistic laboratory projections.

Fossilnot

ComicGeek

Post by ComicGeek »

Fossilnot wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:26 pm Hi Kodedjay,
333 miles sounds so good doesn’t it? The 415 miles showing on my Enyaq 80’s GOM at handover was barely credible! Both unfortunately were fairy stories… It is best to consider the 333 mile range as the 21st century equivalent of the winner of The Mobil Economy Run. Who would want to drive like a competitor in the Mobil Run on a daily basis?
When I bought my hybrid a few years ago (with 3 miles on the clock), the salesman proudly pointed at the 650 miles 'range' shown on the dash - that was equally nonsense as it hadn't had enough time to learn the style of driving etc. Not sure why you would think it's any different on the Enyaq. It quickly dropped down to around 500 miles 'range', but I also never achieved the idealistic mpg for the car either, maxing out at about 70% of this unrealistic mpg (although on a couple of particular journeys I did slightly exceed it). Again, I don't understand why people don't equate that to their electric car as well.

I never expected to achieve 329 miles on each journey regardless of weather, driving conditions etc. At the moment I'm doing a lot of non motorway driving (30/40 and lots of junctions etc, so not continuously trying to propel a heavy car at high speed) and achieving around 300 miles in single digit temperatures - I'm expecting this to improve as the weather warms up. But if I want to drive more spiritedly, or drive more motorway miles, then I just have to accept that I'll be charging more regularly - just the same as I would be filling up with petrol more regularly.
Personally I am supportive of the idea that mileage claims in advertising should be supported by real world experience and not promoted upon unrealistic laboratory projections.
But what would that actually be, given that no 2 people's journeys are the same? At the moment it's designed to allow consumers to directly compare different cars, which is equally useful. It's only fair that all manufacturers use the same test process.
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

Judging by figures reported on this forum a statement along the lines of, ‘Users typically report a useable range of 220 to 270 miles contingent upon driving style and road conditions,’ would be a damn sight more honest and realistic (in the case of the 80). This is what all you good people wanting many months for your delivery actually have to look forward to…

As I understand it many ICE purchasers are equally disenchanted with the current system. With an electric car it can make a critical difference.

Meanly I take some comfort in the fact that a friend who recently took delivery of a prestige fully electric vehicle costing half as much again as my Enyaq is getting less range from a slightly bigger battery pack.

A brother in law gets to drive a huge variety of cars in the course of his employment reports that none of the fully electrics get anywhere near their supposed range.

Foossilnot
ComicGeek

Post by ComicGeek »

Fossilnot wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:13 am Judging by figures reported on this forum a statement along the lines of, ‘Users typically report a useable range of 220 to 270 miles contingent upon driving style and road conditions,’ would be a damn sight more honest and realistic (in the case of the 80). This is what all you good people wanting many months for your delivery actually have to look forward to…

As I understand it many ICE purchasers are equally disenchanted with the current system. With an electric car it can make a critical difference.

Meanly I take some comfort in the fact that a friend who recently took delivery of a prestige fully electric vehicle costing half as much again as my Enyaq is getting less range from a slightly bigger battery pack.

A brother in law gets to drive a huge variety of cars in the course of his employment reports that none of the fully electrics get anywhere near their supposed range.

Foossilnot
But that information was available for people if they looked for it, exactly the same as any other car, EV or ICE. It certainly was before I ordered my Enyaq last summer, and I was fully aware of likely range in practice - that was the reason I went for the 80, as the 60 range in winter was too low for what I needed, particularly as I mainly like to charge to 80%). I'm getting exactly what I expected from the Enyaq in terms of range, knowing that I don't do many motorway miles - even if I do, traffic is so heavy at peak times that I can rarely do over 50 anyway.

Given the range at the moment at lower temps, I fully expect summer range to be close to 400 miles for me. Should the manufacturers state 'a useable range of between 220-400 miles dependent on driving style, road and weather conditions' to be equally fair at both ends of the scale? That would confuse things even more.
orrery

Post by orrery »

ComicGeek wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:47 am Given the range at the moment at lower temps, I fully expect summer range to be close to 400 miles for me.

Oh, I do like an optimist. Your journeys are all downhill, presumably?
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
ComicGeek

Post by ComicGeek »

orrery wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:29 am
ComicGeek wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:47 am Given the range at the moment at lower temps, I fully expect summer range to be close to 400 miles for me.

Oh, I do like an optimist. Your journeys are all downhill, presumably?
No, just extremely flat, at low speeds and perfect for coasting. I was achieving 3.6 m/kWh when temps were less than 5 degrees, 2 heated seats running, heated steering wheel, defrosting the car, preheating the cabin. I am now getting 4.2-4.4m/kWh with temps around 9 degrees and heated seats on, so not a big stretch to get 5 m/kWh when the temp is 20 degrees. And when it was warming up slightly I would end up with more 'range' at the end of the journey then I started with. It helps that I do most of my miles between 11am-4pm when it's warmed up a little as well.

If it was downhill all the way, I would be doing much better! :D

But that's my point - for every person that 'only' gets 220 miles, there will be others that achieve significantly more. Therefore any single value given by the manufacturers is meaningless to the majority of people, and a wide range is just too confusing - therefore they stick with the least worse option, which at least allows direct comparison between models.
Bryanmet

Post by Bryanmet »

Even as a newbie to the EV world it was clear to me at the outset that the WLTP figures were purely a standardised test to provide a means of comparison between cars. It was clear from most reviews that real world day to day driving would yield nowhere near the WLTP numbers. When I was considering the Enyaq I set my expectation at 200 miles for the IV60. I get a range of 170 - 175 on 80% charge, which is over 200 miles on a full charge - and may get better as the weather warms up. It performs just as I expected.
Private Car: Enyaq IV60 Suite - Brilliant Silver, 21” Alloys, Convenience Plus, Parking Basic, Climate Basic, Tow Bar, 100Kw. Ordered 21/07/21 - Delivered 22/11/21.
orrery

Post by orrery »

Excuse me for wittering on about the Leaf, but I've had 4 of them before the Enyaq, over 7 years. The comparison with the Enyaq is interesting.

The 40kWh Leaf would do an indicated 3.8 to 4.5 m/kWh and the range was about 130 miles.

The Enyaq has (ignoring the difference between net and gross battery capacity) double that - at 80kWh. I now only get around 2.8 to 3.2 kWh but my range seems to be around 260 to 270 miles.

So, double the battery, double the range. Has the miles/kWh display on one, or both, of the vehicles been lying to me? A quick 'back of a fag packet' calculation would suggest that Leaf m/kWh was well out...

Leaf - 130 miles / 38 kWh = 3.42
Enyaq - 260 miles / 77 kWh = 3.37

So, very close!
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
Andy Enyaq

Post by Andy Enyaq »

My IV60 is showing 244 Miles at full charge now. Getting 4+miles per kwh in this warmer weather. This has increased a lot from around 200 when I got it in November.
Racing Blue Metallic iV60 Loft
Parking Package Basic, Climate Package Basic,100 Kw Dc Charging, Cmft St Pck Bsc M+ Pfa/Pfb/Pfc+psb/Psa, Heat Pump, Drive Package Basic,Astd Drv Pkg Bsc M+pfa/Pfb/Pfc,Transport Package
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

I’ll have to try reset again but deffo noticed extra miles in better weather

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post